Culture > News

Beloved Actor and Comedian Leslie Jordan Dies at 67

Leslie Jordan, a beloved comedian, and actor best known for his appearances in sitcoms like Will & Grace and Call Me Kat, in addition to television roles in shows such as American Horror Story and Hearts Afire, passed away on Monday at the age of 67 in a Hollywood, California car crash. According to news sources, police were reported claiming Jordan evidently had a medical issue before his car smashed into the side of a building. 

The Los Angeles Police Department’s (LAPD) spokesman acknowledged that a person in a BMW died after striking a wall in Hollywood around 9:30 a.m., but would not release the victim’s name. It was not immediately clear whether Jordan had suffered a medical emergency beforehand or died on impact of the crash, however, according to law enforcement, the condition of the car suggests he may have lost control of his vehicle. The death was confirmed by Jordan’s agent David Shaul of the BRS/Gage Talent Agency. 

“The world is definitely a much darker place today without the love and light of Leslie Jordan,” Shaul said in a statement. “Not only was he a mega talent and joy to work with, but he provided an emotional sanctuary to the nation at one of its most difficult times. What he lacked in height he made up for in generosity and greatness as a son, brother, artist, comedian, partner and human being. Knowing that he has left the world at the height of both his professional and personal life is the only solace one can have today.”          

Shaul was alluding to Jordan’s unprecedented Instagram presence during the pandemic.

Through the lens of comedy, Jordan used the platform to communicate about his hardships, past experiences, and family tales, many of which involved his mother. Jordan wasn’t what you’d call an unknown talent at the time, what with his countless iconic television roles, but his ascent to social media stardom at the ripe age of 65 garnered him millions of followers. His positivity was instrumental in getting many through the pandemic.

Perhaps Jordan’s most iconic role belongs to the famed sitcom Will & Grace. He appeared in both the latest relaunch of the series as well as the 2001 original show where he portrayed the sarcastic socialite Beverley Leslie. He was recognized with an Emmy in 2006 for his performance in the comedy series as an outstanding guest performer.

Jordan was a well-known openly gay star who broadened the possibilities of queer identification on and off the screen. As he wrote in his 2008 memoir “My Trip Down the Pink Carpet,” he spent a long time hiding his homosexuality as a means to help his Hollywood career. 

“I decided I was going to make a real effort to ‘butch it up’ and hide any signs that I was a Big Homo,” he wrote. “The funny thing is, I am, without a doubt, the gayest man I know.”

Tributes for the LGBTQ+ icon began to spread on social media following the news of his death. Eric McCormack, who starred as Will Truman on Will & Grace, commended his co-star on Twitter.

“The joy and laughter he brought to every one of his #WillandGrace episodes was palpable. Gone about thirty years too soon. You were loved, sweet man,” McCormack tweeted.

“Leslie Jordan was one of the funniest people I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with, another Will & Grace co-star, Sean Hayes, added.

In a statement posted to Twitter, Sarah Kate Ellis, president and chief executive of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, said Jordan “was a multi-talented entertainer who charmed audiences for decades with heartfelt characters on-screen and passionate LGBTQ advocacy off-screen.” The advocacy group called him “a loyal friend to so many LGBTQ organizations including GLAAD,” who also “made it a priority to help increase visibility for LGBTQ for people in the South.”              

“When I got off the bus in 1982, I had $1,200. I came from Tennessee to L.A., and I had a little bit of money and I had my degree in theater. I couldn’t pronounce it. I called it ‘THEE-ate-er,’” he said.

Jordan was born and raised in Tennessee in the Southern Baptist Church. He said he had known he was gay early in life and, consequently, eventually fell out of the church to differing values. Jordan eventually found his way back to the church and released a gospel album in 2021.

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times to promote his “Company’s Comin’,” album, Jordan contemplated his decades-spanning career with triumph.

“So I had a list of what I wanted to achieve. I wanted to be in movies and TV, but this [album] was so far off the radar. It’s not like I sit and think, ‘What’s the next big challenge?’ It has just always happened for me. I’ve had a really blessed career. I’m just along for the ride.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Jillian is currently attending Florida State University and majoring in editing, writing, and media. Her interests include reading, movies/tv shows, music, cooking, writing, and more! She loves Taylor Swift and Ben Platt, and of course Her Campus. Contact: Instagram: jilliankaplann Snapchat: jilliankaplan7