Books to Read While Traveling for Thanksgiving

If you’re anything like me, reading books for fun can often get lost in the stress of balancing school work with attempts at being an adult. I always find myself compiling a long list of books to buy with no time to actually sit down and read them. That’s why whenever breaks like Thanksgiving come around I take advantage of the travel time and pick up a few new reads. Here’s a list of some lighthearted books you might want to check out for your plane, bus, or train ride home.

1. The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo (or any other celebrity memoirs)

Courtesy: Amazon

This is the perfect book to read if you’re looking to laugh and have the tedious traveling hours just speed by. From the title alone, Amy Schumer sets you up for a lively array of personal essays and experiences that will leave you begging to be her best friend. And if Amy isn’t for you, plenty of your favorite celebrities have been releasing books that are just as fun. Laidback reads like Mindy Kaling’s Why Not Me? and Anna Kendrick’s Scrappy Little Nobody are a few more recommendations.

2. Quarter Life Poetry: Poems for the Young, Broke and Hangry

Courtesy: Amazon

A personal favorite, Quarter Life Poetry is both honest and hilarious. With short poems and illustrations, Samantha Jayne plucks at our heartstrings in this book. If you love cheap wine, staying in or complaining about being single, I promise you’ll find yourself loving this one. It’s perfect if you’re looking for something that won’t make you car sick since the poems are short and full of illustrations.

3. Don’t Worry, It Gets Worse: One Twentysomething’s (Mostly Failed) Attempts at Adulthood

Courtesy: Amazon

Just like Quarter Life Poetry, this book takes on themes about growing up and how hard it can sometimes be. As much as we love the food (and family), I think everyone can agree Thanksgiving can be pretty stressful. Endless questions about what your major means and what you plan on doing after graduation can lead anyone to a mental break. That’s why this book is perfect for your travels. Relating to someone who’s been there, done that and is still confused is the perfect comfort.

4. My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories

Courtesy: Amazon

Now if you’re someone who’s been listening to Christmas music since October first, this is the book for you. Skip right over Thanksgiving with this Holiday themed book featuring different short stories written by some well-known young adult authors like Stephanie Perkins and Rainbow Rowell. This book is perfect to get you in the mood for the season. Grab a cup of a seasonal Starbucks drink to-go and listen to your favorite Christmas tunes to really help set the mood during your travels.

Editing, Writing, and Media major at FSU. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.