Black People Are Smiling and I’m Here for It

We’re only a couple of days into Black History Month and we’re already being blessed by Black Twitter. On Feb. 3, the #BlackMenSmiling hashtag was created to encourage men to share pictures in an effort to “normalize happy” as stated by comedian and creator Felonious Munk, a.k.a Dennis Banks. Within hours the tag was already trending, which continued all weekend.  Often times media portrays Black men and women as angry, stern or unfriendly. This hashtag illustrates Black boy joy in the purest form by giving Black men a platform to showcase their happiness with pictures. A seemingly small gesture has opened the door for many Black men to feel confident and free in a world where they usually do not. The hashtag has even helped to facilitate its sister hashtag, #BlackWomenSmiling. This equally beautiful hashtag is promoting Black girl magic and allowing women that don’t often get recognition to shine on social media. In a world where the “angry Black woman” narrative is still prevalent in all media forms, pictures of Black women smiling are needed in order for people to understand the truth. Although the main hashtag showcases Black men, I think it’s important to note that this particular event is an important step in the Black community and its work to destroy unrealistic stereotypes that both Black men and women face.

Courtesy: Twitter

Courtesy: Twitter

With last Monday marking the 23rd birthday of Trayvon Martin just days after the hashtags began to trend, #BlackMenSmiling was also a beautiful way to celebrate the birthday of a Black man who unfortunately couldn’t be here due to the stereotypes that this hashtag is trying to combat.

Courtesy: Twitter

With hashtags like #BlackGirlMagic, #BlackBoyJoy and #BlackExcellence, Black Twitter is no stranger to the importance of social media and representation. These trending hashtags have around 4000 tweets according to Tweet Binder. As a Black woman, I am not only impressed but also elated that I can go on social media and see people who look like me smiling, despite the world doing all that they can to stop them.

Courtesy: Twitter

Hashtags like these leave evidence of reality while taking a step towards eradicating the stigma of “angry Black women.” With the trope of the “angry Black woman” still seeding its way into mainstream media and many people’s beliefs, this hashtag provides proof of the opposite. While it’s not as rare to see a Black woman smiling as the mainstream media shows, it’s still amazing to see the pearly whites that accompany Black Queens. This has become one of my favorite hashtags ever due to its innocence, necessity and relatability. These hashtags are important for everyone because we all get to see a part of society that is often hidden to the public. As Valentine’s Day approaches I encourage all Black women to hop on the #BlackWomenSmiling train and show off their gorgeous smiles as a way to show love to the most important person: yourself.

Courtesy: Twitter

Her Campus at Florida State University.