Bindi Irwin is married! The 21-year-old Australian television personality, conservationist and daughter of the late Steve Irwin married 23-year-old Chandler Powell on Wednesday, March 25. The wedding took place at the Australia Zoo only hours before a new curfew set by the Australian government. The lockdown started at 11:59 pm local time in Australia and brought with it measures to limit social gatherings, including limiting weddings to five people, in an effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The happy couple met in 2013 when Powell, a Florida native, visited Australia for a wakeboarding competition and Irwin gave him a tour of the Australia Zoo. They got engaged almost six years later on July 24, 2019, once again at Irwin’s zoo home. The wedding was planned for 2020 at the zoo, originally with the couple surrounded by friends and family.

However, despite marrying prior to the new Australian safety measures, the lovely couple had no guests at their wedding according to Irwin’s Instagram caption. She wrote that “This was a very difficult decision but important to keep everyone safe.” While the exact number of people involved is unknown at this time, her mother Terri helped her to get ready and her younger brother Robert walked her down the aisle. Irwin and Powell also lit a candle in memory of her father. And while they had made it clear that they desired some of the zoo’s animals, including crocodiles, snakes and koalas, get involved, the sole picture released for the wedding showed only the happy couple in front of a wall of flowers. Irwin wore a white lace dress decorated with flowers and a white headband while Powell wore a light blue dress shirt and khaki pants. While the zoo was “unable to share additional detail of the special day,” it teased that it is “in the process of working on a very special project that will ensure Bindi and Chandler’s wedding is shared with everyone.”

“We held a small ceremony and I married my best friend.” Irwin wrote in her delighted post. Her thoughts were echoed in her husband’s caption where he wrote “Today, March 25, 2020, marks the most amazing day of my life. I married my best friend.”

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Maria is an Editing, Writing, and Media major from Ocoee, Florida. In her free time, she enjoys binging romcoms, taking selfies, and picnics with friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.