The Biggest Fan on Campus: Meet Kayla Mays

You may have seen Kayla Mays at a volleyball or basketball game, sporting a heavily-decorated striped vest that reads Lady Spirithunters on the back, toting her paints, offering to give you war stripes, cheering and smiling her warm, intoxicating smile. You may recognize her as the Biggest Fan on Campus, an award she happily received this past Homecoming season, again offering up that warm and friendly smile to the crowd as she accepted the role as Biggest Florida State fan. As the President of Lady Spirithunters, a social and spirited group here on campus, Kayla Mays is never lacking in spirit and excitement over her alma mater. I sat down with our Biggest Fan on Campus and, unsurprisingly, was greeted with that infectious smile of hers as she answered some of my questions.

Courtesy of Kayla Mays

Her Campus (HC): How did you initially become involved with Lady Spirithunters (LSH)?

Kayla Mays (KM): I initially heard about Lady Spirithunters through a family member who was in it about 6 years before I got to FSU. As soon as I got my acceptance to Florida State she told me this was the best organization to join and she could not have been more right. The second I got into Lady Spirithunters I felt at home.

HC: What led you to wanting to become President?

KM: I always knew from the moment I got involved in LSH that I wanted to be on the executive board. And my first year on exec I had such an amazing time planning events and working towards building a better version of LSH. But I was never really sure about running for President until after I finished my last big event, which was Away Trip. I remember I felt so confident about everything that on the bus ride back home I told the then president, Molly, that I was going to run.

HC: What has been your most life-changing or influential experience during your undergraduate career?

KM: Honestly, getting into LSH was the most life-changing experience I had here at FSU. This organization opened the doors to so many amazing opportunities for friendship, leadership, and an actual college experience. Without this organization, I wouldn’t have amazing women to call friends, people who support me in anything I do. I would never have had the opportunity to work a skybox, walk on the football field before a game, or win first place in homecoming. And if it weren’t for LSH, I would have never had the courage to audition and win Biggest Fan on Campus. This organization has shaped me into the person I am today and I am grateful for everything the organization has given to me. 

HC: Lady Spirithunters did a fantastic job with homecoming this year. Tell me a little bit about the homecoming effort, how did LSH come together to win homecoming overall?

KM: Lady Spirithunters has always made Homecoming a top priority in the Fall semester. There’s so much school spirit involved and it really gives us a chance to show the school what we are really about. After getting third last year, we really wanted to push for first place, especially since it was mine, and many other members’ last Homecoming. We made sure to participate in any and every Homecoming event for points, encouraged all our members to come to events for support, and worked really late nights to make sure our banner, skit, and of course float were all first place material. And even though it was an exhausting week, winning first place made it all worth it and I could not be happier of the job our organization did. 

HC: You’re graduating next semester. How will you take what LSH has taught you, what FSU has taught you, beyond your undergraduate experience?

KM: Throughout my time at FSU, the greatest thing I have learned is to be confident in myself and my abilities. When I started out as a freshman here I was super shy and was afraid to go after the things I wanted because I figured I wouldn’t get them. Since then I have grown to be confident in my abilities as a student, a leader and just a person trying to make it in the world. When I graduate and make my journey to the real world, I know that my time in LSH and my time as a student at FSU will give me all the confidence in the world to go after the things I want most, which at this point in time is a job.

HC: LSH Recruitment is happening soon: what advice do you have for the young women looking to become a Spirithunter?

KM: I am so excited for LSH recruitment to begin. It’s always one of my favorite parts of Spring semester because I love the idea of adding more unique, spirited women into the organization. My advice to anyone planning on applying is to first be yourself. Don’t try to be what you think we want you to be because Lady Spirithunters is filled with so many diverse individuals that we want to see who you truly are. And second, talk to the people in the organization, whether it be general members or the ladies on the executive board. These women went through the same experience you are about to enter and have plenty of knowledge to share. Plus it makes an impression when the exec members see you asking questions and showing a genuine interest in Lady Spirithunters.

McKenna is a junior at Florida State University studying History and Editing, Writing, and Media. As an avid reader, her bookshelves are overflowing; her literary taste ranges from Jane Austen and the classics to Stephen King and young adult novels. She is a theater geek, sporadically breaking out into song (the Phantom of the Opera is here!) in the checkout line at Publix. She owns way too many coffee mugs, but never has enough Star Wars merchandise. She has a passion for writing, and has been known to write love letters to the greatest men in her life (Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, Dick van Dyke, to name a few). She is more than excited to join the Her Campus team this semester! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.