The Best Places to Visit in London

We’re back with another themed week on the site: Travel Week. This semester, Her Campus FSU has created themed weeks dedicated to exclusive content we believe all of our readers should have access to. Keep up on the site for the next few days as we cover everything from the best places you need to roadtrip to before you graduate to the top eats across the pond (that’s London town, for those of you who haven’t brushed up on your British). We promise we’ll leave you wanderlusting for more. After all, summer vacation is just a few weeks away! 

London is my favorite city in the world. I spent this past summer studying in the bustling capital of England, and it is always exciting, beautiful and interesting. There’s never a day when you can’t find anything to do. In a city where there is so much going on, it can be difficult to find out what exactly to do and see while visiting. Of course there are the main sightseeing spots you can’t miss if you’re a first-timer, like the Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Bridge and Kensington Palace, but if you want to try something different and keep exploring, this list is for you!

Here are some spots (besides the touristy ones) you can’t miss while staying in this amazing city:

1. The Markets

My favorite market in London is Camden Market because of its large variety of clothes, products, crafts, shops and food vendors. I used to go there all the time because you can get clothes and items for a much better price than in the shops located in central London, and the food is to die for! There are hundreds of food vendors spread throughout the market and they sell a variety of foods from around the world. Sometimes they even bring out bands to play live music outside.

Courtesy: Travelling Around

While in Camden, there’s a special place called Cereal Killer Café that you cannot miss! It is a cereal-themed café that sells branded cereal from all around the world. You choose what kinds of cereal you’d like to eat, what toppings you want, and even the type of milk. The café is designed to reflect a retro style with a 90s flair, and rather than sitting in chairs to eat, they have children’s beds to sit on.

Courtesy: Pack Your Passport

Courtesy: Tmrw Magazine

If you want to visit a market solely for food, then Borough Market is for you! Borough Market is full of vendors from all over the UK, Europe and the rest of the world who mostly grow or bake the food they sell and everything is fresh. It is the best place to explore and discover new flavors and varieties of food you’ve never seen before! They have all the food you can imagine – different kinds of fruits, vegetables, desserts, meats, cheeses, baked bread etc. It is a food lover’s heaven!

Courtesy: Blogspot

If you want to shop for antiques, Portobello Road Market would be your market to visit! Portobello Road is home to the world’s largest antiques market in addition to selling vintage clothes, accessories and of course a lot of food! It’s really several markets put together; there’s one for antiques, one for fruits and veggies (tip: order their fresh piña colada), fashion, second-hand goods, and then a section for the food vendors. My favorite part about this market is its location – smack dab in Notting Hill, which is full of beautiful, colorful houses and was made famous by the movie “Notting Hill” starring Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts.

Courtesy: Shop Portobello

2. The Stores

London is famously known for Harrods, the world’s most famous department store. Here you can find all the greatest designer fashion, luxury gifts, food and accessories.  You may have also seen it in the movie “Love Actually.” The first thing you notice about Harrods is how huge it is. This store has everything you can think of. It has seven floors, 330 departments and 27 restaurants, including a steakhouse, sushi bar and a pizzeria. If you decide to shop here, make sure to bring a lot of money with you because it can be pricey, but it’s worth it!

Courtesy: Visit London

Selfridges is another famous high-end department store located in London. It is the second largest shop in the UK after Harrods. Selfridges also sells designer clothing, shoes and accessories and there’s food, too! Selfridges is a favorite store for celebs and if you’re lucky, you might be able to visit while they have a great sale going on.

Courtesy: Visit London

A few blocks away from Selfridges on Oxford St. is my favorite store, Topshop! Topshop has all the latest fashion and accessories you could possibly want in a single store. It has a section where you can do your own makeup and get your hair styled by a professional, and it even has a nail and wax salon! You might even run into celebs while shopping here. My best friend and I ran into Lily Collins at Topshop once, so you never know who you might see!

Courtesy: Retail Design Blog

While Topshop may be my favorite, the store I shopped at the most was Primark. If you ever decide to study abroad in London with FSU, Primark is only two blocks away from the FSU Study Centre and it’s full of different styles of clothes, shows, accessories, home products, bags and gift items. This store had everything and the best part was the prices! London is generally an expensive place to shop, but Primark was so cheap and had the cutest stuff. They had sunglasses for £1, bathing suits for £2 each set, crop tops for £4 and their jewelry was always under £10! If you don’t want to overpack, remember that you can always shop in Primark for clothes. Trust me!

Courtesy: Primark

3. The Parks

I love how many parks you can find in London. They are so nice to walk around or to just sit and relax. My favorite park would have to be Hyde Park, located next to Kensington Gardens. It is home to famous landmarks such as the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, and it is where a lot of artists have performed for music festivals and concerts.

For a great view of the city, make sure to visit Primrose Hill, which is located on the northern side of Regent’s Park. This is the best place for a picnic with your friends and a great spot to hang out while having a spectacular view of London.

Courtesy: LondonTown

4. West End Theatre

If you’re a fan of Broadway, then make sure to see a show on London’s West End. Some big name celebrities perform shows in London and if you wait outside after the show, you can have the chance to meet them. When I went, Bradley Cooper was starring in the show The Elephant Man and my friend and I waited outside by the stage door and met him! Here’s a London Theatre Guide to see what shows will be on if you plan to visit.

5. Leicester Square

Leicester Square is the center of London’s cinema and is the spot for the biggest movie premieres. It’s also where you can purchase tickets for theater shows and where you can find the most popular clubs, such as Zoo and Ruby Blue.

6. Pub Crawl

Pub crawls are a great way to get to know the nightlife of London and meet new people. They range from £15-20 and include a drink in each club and bar and they take you to five different ones! The cover is also included in the pub crawl ticket so you get your money’s worth.

Courtesy: Anacarla Sanchez

7. ICEBAR LONDON

The ICEBAR LONDON is an experience like no other. Everything from the walls, the bar, the tables and even your glass is made of the purest ice. The bar is kept at -5°C, but you’re given a thermal cape with a hood and gloves to keep you warm. Once inside, you have 40 minutes to get your drink and enjoy all the beautiful ice sculptures. The venue offers a wide selection of ICEBAR cocktails that are included in the price of your ticket.

Courtesy: Design My Night

8. The London Eye

This is a typical tourist spot in London but it is a must-do; the views are absolutely incredible. The best time to see the city from the top is during the sunset. 

Courtesy: Urban Pixxels

London is an amazing city. I hope you get a chance to visit one day, Collegiettes, and I hope to be back there as soon as I can!

Anacarla is currently attending her last year at Florida State. Can't live without coffee and her dog. You can follow her on Twitter at @anacarlasanchez
Her Campus at Florida State University.