The Best Natural Hairstyles on the Red Carpet This Season

It’s the most wonderful time of the year—award show season! Between the powerful women’s rights movements taking center stage and the fantastic art, the 2018 award show season has proven to be one of the most important yet. And one thing that has always been synonymous with award shows is style. This year, we’ve seen multi-cultural beauty be celebrated like no other with some of the most beautiful women in Hollywood sporting flawless natural hair. Check out some of the best looks of this season so far!

7.  Tracee Ellis Ross, SAG Awards

Courtesy: InStyle CHRISTOPHER POLK/GETTY IMAGES

Tracee has always been a champion of natural hair. Every week on Blackish, fans are guaranteed to see the star actress wearing a new, fun style with her gorgeous natural curls. She’s an inspiration to all multi-cultural girls, and the sleek bun she wore to the SAG awards is sure to be a style staple this season.

6. Lupita Nyong’o, SAG Awards

Courtesy: Refinery 29, FRAZER HARRISON/GETTY IMAGES

Lupita’s 4c curls are iconic, and she’s been stealing the red carpet with her natural beauty since 2013 when she was first nominated for an Academy Award for 12 Years a Slave. Her short, thick hair looked flawless as she strutted the carpet for the SAG Awards.

5. Issa Rae, Golden Globes

Courtesy: Us Magazine, VALERIE MACON/AFP/Getty Images

The director/actress’s style game has never been better. Issa Rae put a spin on the classic sleek bun by adding twisted loops that beautifully show off her highlights. The creative force behind Insecure was one of 2017’s biggest style icons, and she’s shaping up to be a beauty inspiration this year, too.

4. Samira Wiley, Critics’ Choice Awards

Courtesy: E! Online, Frazer Harrison/Getty Images

Everyone’s favorite Orange is the New Black star hit the carpet with a chic, edgy cut that shows off her natural texture. Styled to perfection and effortlessly classy, the actress’s do is a great representation of how many different ways short, curly hair can be styled.

3. Octavia Spencer, Golden Globes

Courtesy: Pop Sugar; Getty / VALERIE MACON

Octavia Spencer is a hero. The inspirational actress rocked soft, heat-styled waves that will definitely be a go-to for girls with textured hair this winter. The Shape of Water star has also been an influential figure in the #TimesUp movement and recently shared a story about how fellow Hollywood starlet Jessica Chastain helped her to get a higher salary on their recent project together. A true feminist leader.

2. Viola Davis, Golden Globes

Courtesy: Allure

Let’s take a moment of appreciation for the activist, actress, and overall human hero that is Viola Davis. From her frequent natural red carpet looks to that iconic HTGAWM scene, Viola Davis has always been a figure of inspiration for ethnic women, finding pride, joy, and meaning in her natural beauty. Her curly afro is not just a symbol of beauty, but of the spirit of empowerment, she embodies. All Hail Queen Viola.

1. Yara Shahidi

Courtesy: Pop Sugar

Yara Shahidi is easily one of the coolest, most outspoken young stars around today. She’s an active feminist, a talented star on the sitcom Blackish, and an Ivy League student! The greatest role model on Earth rocked her stunning natural curls in this jaw-dropping, loose parted hairdo at the Sag Awards.

As a girl with multi-ethnic, textured hair, seeing Yara Shahidi proudly wear her natural hair made me incredibly emotional—it’s the kind of look I wish young celebrities wore when I was growing up, and Yara is the natural hair icon I wish I had. Lucky for us, if you’re interested in copying Yara’s look (like I totally am), her stylist told Refinery 29 exactly how they got the perfect look!

Her Campus at Florida State University.