The Best Eats for Your Spring Break Vacay in South Florida

The best part of the spring semester has arrived—Spring Break! Time for shorts, sun, bikinis and drinks on the beach! Spring Break is my ultimate favorite college break. It’s placed perfectly in the middle of the semester, right after midterms when everyone is over the semester. Everyone is flying or cruising to some tropical location with friends and family or taking a trip to some snowy state to experience a real winter (a luxury us in Florida don’t get to experience). As for me, I’ll be at home catching up with high school friends and spending time with family. It sounds pretty boring compared to everyone else’s Spring Break plans, but it’s not. Luckily for me, I live in everyone’s go-to spring break destination—South Florida! I love coming back home! There are endless beaches, sun and, of course, the best eats! I’m not sure about everyone else, but my favorite part about coming home (and traveling in general) is the food. For all the Spring Breakers coming to SoFlo this year, here is a list of some (emphasis on some!) of the best places to eat in the area!

Vegan tacos
Photo by Edgar Castrejon on Unsplash

Lime—Fresh Mexican Grill

If you’re craving some awesome tex-mex food, this is where you can find some! Lime was my go-to spot on the weekends when I was in high school. With locations across the tri-county area (Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade), their menu contains a variety of different tex-mex dishes including quesadillas, tacos, burritos, rice plates and even salads! My favorite item on the menu is the fish tacos. Make sure you get them fried and with a hard shell. If ordered any other way, you’re doing it wrong! 

Perry Wings

Located in Miami, Perry Wings is a popular hit among locals for some of the city’s best wings. The restaurant serves wings that can be dressed in sauces like lemon pepper, buffalo, hot and more. However, nothing compares to the original Perry Wing flavor. Containing a savory yet sweet taste, it is definitely a fan favorite. Don’t believe me? Ask some of Miami’s most influential residents, such as rapper Trina and rap duo City Girls.

JBs on the Beach

This is my favorite beach-side restaurant with the absolute best view! Located in Deerfield Beach, JB’s on the Beach is the perfect weekend brunch spot. It’s even great for a romantic date night, as live entertainment is often present, and customers can walk along the beach right after their meal. If you’re a seafood lover, this is the place for you! My favorite menu item is the lobster pizza appetizer—yum!

Blue Fin

This restaurant is for all my Asian Cuisine lovers. Blue Fin, located in Parkland, features traditional dishes from various Asian countries such as Japan and Thailand, but the eatery’s special is sushi. As a sushi lover, I can say this spot has the best sushi in all of South Florida, made to order and crafted with love by Chef Yozo, the original innovator and creator of modern American sushi cuisine. Stop in on Tuesdays for the $6 sushi bomb special!

Snappers 

Wings, conch, gizzards—they have it all. The best fried food you will find in South Florida is waiting for you at any of the various Snappers locations (only in Broward and Miami-Dade). This is a spot I never neglect to hit up on a trip home. Each requested item is coated in flour, fried to perfection and sprinkled (or in some cases drowned) in Snappers’ “crack,” which is really a delicious dusty lemon pepper seasoning. My favorite meal to get here is the fried conch platter with fries. Don’t forget the extra crack!

No matter where you travel to, make sure to expand your pallet and run away from the typical restaurants you always find yourself at. You can’t really enjoy a new city without trying the local food! For those traveling to South Florida, make sure you visit one of the spots mentioned above. You don’t want to miss out on these SoFlo staples. Happy Spring Breaking, and have fun in my beloved city!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Arielle Lawson is a Senior at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Finance and a minor in Women's Studies. Her passions include reading, serving the surrounding community, and her Yorkie-Poo, Indygo. She aspires to change the current narrative of Women in society through her writing, service, and future profession in Higher Education.
Her Campus at Florida State University.