Best Countries for Americans Looking To Move Internationally

As an international affairs major and travel aficionado, other countries are always on my mind. With graduation creeping up and the pressure to be a “real adult” mounting, my job search has shifted into high gear. A lot of positions available to international affairs majors are located in other countries, which is super cool, but which countries are the best for Americans to move to? According to various expat sites, these are the top ten.

1. Vietnam 

Via Pixabay

Vietnam is a rising star in Southeast Asia, with its growing economy, reliable Wi-Fi and affordable cost of living. Whether you are looking for a rural escape or a cultural experience in one of the many cities, Vietnam is a great place to start looking when planning your escape from America. Also, many people who move to Vietnam from America teach English as their side hustle!

2. Ghana

If need a place to get away, Ghana might be the perfect solution. This country boasts a stable economy, affordable costs of living and has a program to fast-track citizenship for African Americans. Ghana is a rare treasure trove of beautiful people, culture and scenery. Also, you get the chance to see a country morph into a full-fledged power in Africa.

3. Spain

Do I even need to convince you? Between the beaches, afternoon siestas and mouthwatering food, who wouldn’t want to move to Spain? Along with being one of the most affordable countries to live in, in the EU, Spain has a wide variety of housing, culture and experiences to offer. Whether you want to soak up the sun in Malaga, or start your own tech business in Madrid, Spain has an option for you.

4. Argentina

Unsplash/ Deanna Ritchie

Argentina is a country with fantastic food, chill people and has more national holidays than anywhere else. If you want a break from the hectic life you lead in America, head down to Argentina! The natural wonders in this country are breathtaking and the Argentinian culture is made up of the most vivacious and determined people out there. Although Argentina has a rather unstable economy, I highly recommend looking into Argentina as a possible new country for you to take up residence in.

5. Germany

Even though German is really hard to learn, Germany is perfect. With its rich history, culture and food, you really can’t go wrong. Germany is also in the perfect location, allowing for day trips to other countries. Germans are known for their orderly lifestyles, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have crazy nightclubs and other fun places to take a load off. Berlin is one of the many cities exploding with young professionals; it might be time for you to join them.

6. South Korea

Even if you live under a rock, you’ve probably heard of K-pop, hailing from South Korea. This country has fantastic public transportation, insanely fast Wi-Fi and a reasonable cost of living. A bonus is the open-container laws that allow for drinking pretty much anywhere (um, yes!). South Korea is another country that has a huge demand for English teachers, so your side hustle could be a pretty lucrative business.

7. New Zealand

Split between two islands, New Zealand has pretty much anything you will ever need. For those who love the outdoors, this is your paradise. But for those of us who would rather sip wine at a vineyard, there are options for that as well. New Zealand is also a skier’s paradise, so start doing your squats now.

8. Uruguay 

Uruguay is a progressive country that welcomes members of the LGBTQ+ community with open arms. They boast an affordable cost of living, delicious cuisine and beaches straight out of a movie. One thing to note is that fluency in Spanish is going to make your life significantly easier, as most of the population does not speak English.

9. Thailand

Tropical paradise? Yes. Super expensive? No. If you’re not sold yet, consider the ultra-chill environment, delicious seafood and expansive beaches. Although Thailand has a tricky visa process, it is well worth the work.

10. Canada

The land of maple syrup and snow is calling your name. Canadians love nature, and have endless amounts of it to explore, and are generally regarded as nice people. If you want to live where Justin Bieber grew up, all you have to do is head north, no lengthy plane trip needed! Also, Canada recently legalized recreational marijuana, so if Colorado is a little too crowded for you, look no further.

If any of these places piqued your interest, or if recent events in America encouraged you to look for a home base elsewhere, you’re not alone. Thousands of Americans have made the leap across the pond, and beyond, and seem to be loving it. As always, be careful, do your research, and get out there and explore! Although COVID is still affecting travel plans, that will not be permanent, so start virtually exploring possible destinations now.

Happy travels!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Morgan is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs and Political Science. She is originally from the Atlanta area but loves to travel in America and internationally. She spends most of her time studying, spending time with her dog, and working at her part-time jobs. Morgan is motivated to end mass incarceration, inequality, and global issues, and hopes to run for an elected position one day.
Her Campus at Florida State University.