The Best and Worst of iOS 10

Courtesy: Phone Arena

It’s changed the way we unlock our phones, view emojis, and send photos.

In September of 2016, Apple dropped iOS 10, its newest software update compatible specifically with the new iPhone 7. As an iPhone user myself, I am always one of the first people to update my phone. However, the new update has people buzzing about the good and bad alike.

While the pros of iOS 10 definitely outweigh the cons, for all you iPhone users out there who haven’t updated yet, here’s what you are (or maybe are not) missing out on.

The Good:

1. The Unlock Screen

Say goodbye to the swipe! iOS 10 allows for you to unlock your phone via a push of the home screen button. This change makes it easier to unlock a phone with one hand. While it does take some getting used to, I think it is a nice change, especially when responding to texts.

2. The Swipe Down/Swipe Up Screen

The swipe up/swipe down option that came with previous updates is now more user-friendly.

3. Deleting those Pesky Apps

With iOS 10, you can delete all of the apps that come with your iPhone. That means finally getting rid of that folder labeled “irrelevant Apple apps I never use.”

4. Responding to Texts with Different Symbols

You can now heart, like, dislike, “hahaha,” exclamation point, or question mark a text, making iPhone group messages arguably as competitive as the GroupMe app.

5. The Ability to Send Drawings

Who needs Snapchat when you can send drawings to your friends over text? Just kidding, we all still need Snapchat, but this new addition makes texting more creative.

The Bad

1. The Unlock Screen

While the new unlock screen is super cool, it takes a lot of getting used to. That means that for a period of time, you will be continually frustrated with how to unlock your iPhone. Patience, my friend.

Courtesy: iDownloadBlog

2. Alarms

When alarms go off, you now have the option to snooze/stop. In theory, this is great, but you might unknowingly push the wrong one because you’re used to the old ways.

3. It’s Annoying for People Who Haven’t Updated

In regard to “liking” people’s texts on iMessage, the people that have not updated will get a text that says, “X Person liked Y’s text that said ___”. This can be frustrating when a lot of people react to the same text. Also, iOS 10 comes with new emojis, which means people who have not updated cannot see them.

All in all, iOS 10 is one of the best updates Apple has had thus far. I would highly recommend updating, not only to stay in the loop with all your friends, but because overall iOS 10 is more user-friendly and makes using your iPhone that much easier. After all, we’re millennials, so we might as well act like it.

Claire Georgiadis is currently a sophomore at Florida State double-majoring in Editing, Writing and Media and Communications. She is a Pilates instructor, avid health nut, as well as a dancer. You can find her at the nearest coffee shop, in a corner with a good book and an almond milk latte.
Her Campus at Florida State University.