The Benefits of Maintaining Goals During Quarantine

The current coronavirus induced quarantine has each of us struggling in our own ways.  Maintaining goals during these circumstances is a surefire way to support your mental health, your sense of time and your sense of routine. Here’s how giving myself a goal has benefitted me.

Female arm holding books
Thought Catalog

Many of us find ourselves struggling with our sense of direction. I personally have felt myself becoming somewhat aimless during these strange times. Giving myself a goal has soothed this feeling, though. If my goal is to finish a quilt or two before the quarantine is over (a goal I barely have time to even entertain during the semester), it gives me a sense of direction and a sense of where I want to be once this is all finished. It is a positive way of looking into the future during a time when so many negative thoughts are unfortunately associated with the future.

Not only has this given me a sense of direction, but it’s also given me something positive to focus on. This situation we find ourselves in is new and it is universal: no one has ever seen anything like this before, and for the first time in a very long time, there is something that is affecting everyone we know. It can be so easy to focus on unwelcome, and more importantly, unproductive thoughts. Giving myself a goal has been a coping mechanism that gets my thoughts in order and helps me calm down when I’m focusing on things that are out of my control.

Don\'t Panic sign with pink backdrop
Photo by @thetonik_co from Unsplash

Another way giving myself a goal during this time has benefitted me is that it gives me a sense of accomplishment. School has slowed down and for most of us, has come to a close by now.  Not only that but before the semester ended, everything was shifted online. I personally found this transition very difficult, and I wasn’t feeling the same state of accomplishment after turning in classwork, even if it was something I had worked very hard on. So I bought a pair of roller skates and after an hour of pitifully falling down in the driveway, I decided to give myself another goal: mastering roller skating by the time this is over. By giving myself a skill-based goal, I have been able to see my direct progress towards that goal, and it has definitely given me a sense of accomplishment. 

Giving myself a clear cut goal during this time has also given me a sense of enrichment. Instead of moving from room to room, entertaining myself with the same four things I always do, I accomplish something productive. I cannot speak for everyone but I personally feel that my life is so empty if I’m not working towards something, or if I’m not being productive in at least a couple of aspects in my life.

Of course, goals are important right now. A sense of direction, routine and normalcy are all crucial to our mental health.  But please be sure to take care of yourself during this time. Know that unproductivity isn’t always a bad thing and that we deserve time to relax as well. Even if it’s during a time that just feels unproductive by default, make sure you take care of your mind, body and spirit.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Isabella Reimer is a student at Florida State University double majoring in Creative Writing and Women's Studies. She loves reading, writing, and an ice-cold soda! You can likely find her at second-hand bookstores, maze-like libraries, or cozy coffee shops!
Her Campus at Florida State University.