body images 2019 06 17 Capture 0PNG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 06 17 Capture 0PNG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Benefits To Living Spontaneously

I’m sure everyone’s parent has said the quintessential statement of “not everything you read on the internet is true”, which is a valid piece of advice, but this time, the internet is right. 

There has been a new trend on my For You Page of people deciding that they needed some spice in their lives and deciding to do something out of the ordinary for them. There are many ways that creators have expressed their new goals, some choose to take a new route home, while others go kayaking in Christmas pajamas. Many were inspired by a quote from “Can’t Hurt Me” by David Goggins that is described by Ellie Breeden as follows. 

“This is the quote that gets me up out of bed at 5 a.m. every day. And nine times out of ten I f**king hate inspirational b*llsh*t, but I was listening to this book when I was in my worst depression and this guy was saying what happens if you live every day the way you are right now and when you die you talk to God. And God slides a piece of paper across the table and says ‘This is who you were supposed to be, this is what you could have done. What happened?’ And the thought of the person I was supposed to be and all of my excuses haunting me for the rest of my life is a hell of a lot scarier than waking up at 5 a.m.” – @elliebreeden5 (11-8-2020)

watercolor painting
Sincerely Media

Accounts like @danidonovan, @graeyah and @chloetrca are just a few creators who have taken Goggins’s words to heart and have started waking up early to do something different every day. Others are choosing to take this advice through meaningful morning routines, general life decisions, or encouragement to take the leap they have been fearful to take. Overall Goggins is fairly clear in his message, face your fears, and live up to your true potential. Living spontaneously, to me, does not mean getting a face tattoo that says, “I love beer”, but to others, that tattoo might be a major step they need to take to move past personal issues. Fear of disappointing yourself can be a powerful mountain to climb but starting or ending your day with something new and exciting is a great method to combating your self-doubt. 

women with arms wide open at the beach sunset
Photo by Jill Wellington from Pexels

Research actually supports that the power of spontaneity can help make us happier and changes like these are inherently beneficial. Waking up earlier can give you more time to do things you never had the time to do before. Early risers get the chance to see more sunsets, snuggle with their dogs, or in Ellie’s case, hiking up a mountain in a dress to finger paint. 

So, if you’re in need of inspiration, take this article as a sign for you to do whatever you want. Be safe, be conscious (there is still a pandemic going on), and feel free to do what makes you happy. If you’re still uneasy about going somewhere alone, ask a friend or family member to come along on your adventure so you can both benefit from spontaneous living. If you’re lacking inspiration as to what you can do, here are a few things Ellie and the others have done. 

1. Eating waffles on the side of a mountain 

2. Jumped into the ocean wearing a prom dress 

3. Paint old clothes 

4. Dance with a pumpkin on her head 

5. Skinny dipping 

6. Threw old plates at the road while wearing a ball gown 

7. Took pictures with strangers in a different ball gown 

8. Had dessert for breakfast on top of a mountain 

9. Painted with a friend at sunrise 

10.Used crystals to clean their energy and practice spirituality  

During the upcoming holiday season, it is easy to get stuck in a monotonous routine, break free of those shackles, and smash your face in a cake. Be happy and free and spontaneous. Stay strong. 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest

Morgan is a senior at Florida State University, majoring in International Affairs and Political Science. She is originally from the Atlanta area but loves to travel in America and internationally. She spends most of her time studying, spending time with her dog, and working at her part-time jobs. Morgan is motivated to end mass incarceration, inequality, and global issues, and hopes to run for an elected position one day.
Her Campus at Florida State University.