As I was taking a brisk stroll through the hustle and bustle of traffic and pedestrians during lunch hour in Downtown Tampa, I glanced down at the sidewalk for a brief moment and noticed something peculiar and seemingly out of place in the midst of all the suits and formalities. A simple chalk advertisement for something called Being Ginger was scrawled into the sidewalk. Being gifted with the redheaded gene myself, I paused by the chalk on the ground, my curiosity sparked, but I ended up moving on as my lunch-mates pulled ahead of me.

Later, when I was sitting at my work desk, I found that the simple phrase Being Ginger was bouncing around my head like the little white dot in the Pong game. A quick internet search and some digging later, I found that Being Ginger is a short film directed by Scott P. Harris.

The premise of the film is documenting Harris’ ordeals and hardships of being different due to his shocking orange head (and beard) of hair. As the film develops, however, a deeper story line develops as well. What begins as Harris’ quest to find a woman who likes gingers grows into a quirky, comedic, and yet raw display of emotion as Harris finds something within himself instead.  Contrary to the title, the film is not targeted for just redheads, but rather a much broader audience made up of anyone who has ever felt isolated due to being different.

“There was this group of guys walking past me. One had all of the signs of going through chemotherapy. As he passed me he pointed at me with his friends and said ‘Well at least I’m not ginger.’”

After having the pleasure of attending a *sold out* screening at the Muvico in Centro Ybor on June 3rd, 2014, Harris invited and encouraged his audience to “grab a pint” with him at the James Joyce Irish Pub (an appropriate location, if I do say so myself). Inside the crowded pub, in the midst of flowing beer and echoing laughter, Harris and I found a table in the corner to chat:

Her Campus (HC): How did you begin the project of making this film?

Scott P. Harris (SH): Honestly it started out as a twenty minute short that was meant to be a project for school, but as the film got more developed, I decided that this was something that I had to continue. There was something deeper to be had from the film, and I wasn’t going to be satisfied with it until I followed that thread.

HC: Who is your target audience with this film?

SH: Anyone who is different. Anyone who ever felt like they stuck out, and got unwanted attention for it. This is for you, to tell you that you aren’t alone. There are people out there who are just like you.

HC: Did making the movie change your perception about yourself?

SH: Yes, definitely. I’ve never been comfortable in the spotlight, but ever since the film has been playing, it’s been ok. It’s just been incredible.

HC: Do you plan on directing more films in the future?

SH: Yes, I actually have plans for two different films in the upcoming years. Being Ginger took three years to make, however, so it will be awhile, but they will definitely [be] worth the wait.

When asked by an audience member what parents could do to help their child who is picked on for being different, Harris responds, “I have absolutely no answer. I wish I did. The thing that my parents did right is give me a loving home. No matter how bad school was, I could come home to a caring place. I don’t think that the bullies had that, and perhaps that’s why they are bullies.”

“They also got me a dog,” he adds.

A film that started as a man trying to find love ended with the man learning how to love himself.

Harris and myself post-screening

To read more about Harris’ story, here are the film’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.

Being Ginger is currently touring. Check out the tour’s locations and dates here!

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.