Last week, Bebe Rexha called out designers who subtly yet harshly let her know that they specifically weren’t going to custom make her gown for the upcoming 2019 Grammy Awards.

Known as a singer, songwriter and record producer, fans fell in love with her genuine lyrics and unique style. Songs such as “I’m a Mess,” “Meant to Be,” “Me, Myself & I” and “In the Name of Love”. She has also written songs for various artists including Selena Gomez, Nick Jonas and Eminem. This year Bebe Rexha was given her first two Grammy nominations. One for Best New Artist and the other for Best Country Duo/Group Performance: “Meant to Be”. 

In the video she posted on Twitter, she starts out her personal story with, “So, I finally get nominated at the Grammys and it’s like, the coolest thing ever.” You can see she’s trying to find a positive way to tell the story but, as the story continues her fans, and anyone watching the video can clearly tell she’s hurt. Many of her fans don’t know how the fashion or music industry works, so she tells them what typical nominees (especially female ones) go through when preparing for the big day.

“And a lot of times, artists will go and talk to designers and they’ll make them custom dresses to walk the red carpet, I had my team hit out a lot of designers and a lot of them do not want to dress me because I’m too big.” Astounded, she continues to point out how absurd this whole situation is. “Literally, I’m too big. If a size 6/8 is too big then I don’t know what to tell you.”

Courtesy: Bebe Rexha Twitter

On the status that went along with that video, she states, “If you don’t like my fashion style or my music that’s one thing.” Getting rid of any speculations that this is about anything other than weight. 

“Im sorry, I had to get this off my chest. If you don’t like my fashion style or my music that’s one thing. But don’t say you can’t dress someone that isn’t a runway size. We are beautiful any size! Small or large! Anddddd My size 8 ass is still going to the Grammys. #LOVEYOURBODY pic.twitter.com/0nqdjXf0Dw

— Bebe Rexha (@BebeRexha) Jan. 21, 2019

Following the video, she got a lot of positive feedback from not just her fans, but also fellow artists and celebrities such as America’s Next Top Model creator, Tyra Banks, who showed nothing but love and encouragement. 

“The day I met You n Toronto, I knew U were xtra special. R impromptu posing lesson backstage was MAJOR. You stuck that leg & hip out & Tooched & Smized at the same time. Those designers that don’t wanna dress U are DUMB. U my dear @BebeRexha are pure genius…H2T – head to toe!? https://t.co/UwCGyIJTcB

— Tyra Banks (@tyrabanks) Jan. 22, 2019

“I LOVE U for this @BebeRexha ?? even a size 4/6 is too big for most “designers” it’s bloody outrageous & damaging to women’s body image! F them #LOVEYOURBODY https://t.co/mYnP5GQmrP

— Leona Lewis (@leonalewis) Jan. 21, 2019

“Bebe Rexha, thank you. It is unfathomable for any woman to ever be discriminated for their size. I adore you. Whoever you decide to wear will be lucky to have you in their design. I cannot wait to see you shine at the Grammys. @BebeRexha https://t.co/DiUBpwZ845

— Sofia Carson (@SofiaCarson) Jan. 23, 2019

Apart from fans and artists, designers also spoke out in reaction to her video. 

“Thanks everyone for the love! We have dressed @BebeRexha a few times and would love to do it again!”

— Christian Siriano (@CSiriano) Jan. 22, 2019

Ending the video with clear disproval of the way she got treated she calls out the fashion industry by stating “…You’re saying that all the women in the world size eight and up, aren’t beautiful and they cannot wear your dresses.” Blatantly showing the fashion industry the message they are sending out not only to their clients but also, their supportive fan base.

This wouldn’t be the first time the fashion industry has shut their doors out on anyone not a size zero or two, however in recent years many fashion brands have since contracted models of all shapes and sizes. With France and six other countries preventing underweight models to work, we can see the fashion industry is changing; however, we’re glad that Bebe Rexha is there to call them out on their B.S.

When all is said and done, Bebe Rexha will continue to work with designers that support her and root for her for what she stands for. Keep on shining girl!

Courtesy: Bebe Rexha Twitter

Majoring in Italian and Business with a French minor, Maria hopes to combine both her love for European culture and her public relations skills to kill it in the business world. When she's not falling in love with her latest romance novel or trying to learn her 6th language; you can find her snuggled up with her cat Figaro or her Pug Rudolf watching a Disney classic. Whether it's fashion, food, music, or current events; you can catch her enjoying every moment that life brings her.
Her Campus at Florida State University.