Be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are

Almost everybody knows the feeling of unconditional love. The love that is all consuming, where the other companion looks at you like you could never do any wrong in their eyes. They love you no matter what. They believe in you and all you can do. I’m not talking about other humans.

I’m talking about the love from your own dog, cat, and maybe even hamster. They look up at you with those puppy dog eyes (or sassy cat eyes) and think you are the greatest thing to have ever roamed the earth. They do not care if you’re struggling to keep your grades up or just cursed at the guy driving too close behind you. You are what their entire life revolves around, and yet they are such a small part of yours.

Your dog (and many other varieties of pets) views you as being perfect, so why don’t you view yourself that way or at least act in that manner?

There are many people today, especially young women, who look down upon themselves so much that it is baffling. You should be proud of who we are and who you are becoming. You should not be comparing yourself to anyone else. Who cares if the girl next to you is skinnier, has longer hair, or can rock her high-waisted shorts better? This is not supposed to be a competition. We are all perfect in our own way because I guarantee that that same girl is looking over at you asking herself the same questions. Everyone is different and that is how it should be, but just because you don’t fit into somebody else’s idea of “perfect” doesn’t mean you aren’t.

After all, “the most important thing a girl wears is her confidence.”

The negative way in which people (myself included) have been acting is no exception either—the constant bashing on others’ looks or trash talking behind others’ backs. We would rather laugh at others than help them out. We are in too much of a rush to even hold the door open for the person five steps behind us or even say a simple “thank you.” There is no stopping anymore to let another car in, and we curse at them like they can actually hear us (or even care).

These seem like very simple and silly things, but they all build up to even more mean things that we do. We are all just people who just want others to be nice to us, so we should treat each other that way. We should start acting towards one another like how we act toward our pets.

The next time you want to negate every aspect of yourself or not believe in what you can do, just look at yourself like how your dog views you: perfect. Next time you want to laugh at the sloppy drunk girl outside the bar rather than help her, think about how your cat sees you: never being able to do wrong. 

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.