Career

Balancing Faith, School and Everything in Between!

We all know that balancing our college lives, and life in general, can be really difficult. College life, especially, is full of many transitions and making time for our faith sometimes seems to end up on the back burner. So, how can we balance our faith along with everything else?

I sat down with my sorority sister Madi Wade to discuss how she has been able to keep up with her faith, as well as her academics and social life, in the middle of college chaos.

Her Campus (HC): Which religious organization in Tallahassee did you get involved in? How did you hear about them?

Madi Wade (MW): I am most involved with the Catholic Student Union (CSU). When I returned to campus for my spring semester, I started going to spirit nights every Wednesday. I ultimately got involved after being asked to go every week by a friend from my high school.

Crowd in Front of People Playing Musical Instrument during Nighttime
picjumbo.com/Pexels

HC: As a freshman last year, was it difficult to transition your religious life from home to college?

MW: Since I studied abroad during my first semester of college, it was a hard transition from my home parish to a big cathedral that was filled with tourists. Because of this, it was hard to keep my faith alive especially since I didn’t have my family or friends to hold me accountable.

HC: It must have been exciting to experience your religion in a whole new way while you were abroad. Do you think that having your faith provided a sort of support system while you’ve been at Florida State?

MW: The kind of support I receive from the people in CSU is something I’ve always dreamed of. The support runs further than just my religion. They support me in my academics, family life and any difficult decisions I have to make. The relationship with the women that I become friends with goes further than, “sisters for life.” They are “sisters for eternity.”

HC: I know life can be so difficult to balance in college, especially with online classes. Have you found it easy or difficult to keep up with your faith in college?

MW: I have found it easier to balance my religion when classes are online. In high school, I had many priorities and I had to also focus on my family. At college, my first priority is myself and I have more time to do things I want to do. For example, I can grab coffee and pray in the morning with a friend since I don’t have to be in a classroom.

HC: What are some tools you have found to help you make time for everything you need and want to accomplish in a week?

MW: I put my academics first. Each Monday I write down my coursework for the week in my agenda so I can carve out time to complete it all. I only have Zooms on Wednesday and Thursday, so I force myself to complete assignments during the day. My sorority doesn’t do anything because of the coronavirus, so I pick up meals when I can. Every Wednesday is spirit night with CSU and I also have women’s group. On Sunday, I normally go to mass with some friends at 6 p.m. so I have all Sunday to do schoolwork if needed.

Making time for our faith and the things most important to us can be challenging when it feels like there are a million things to accomplish within the week. Taking time to plan out your schedule, while making sure there is still time to do the things that are most important to you is crucial. Life can be chaotic, but always make time for the people that mean the most!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Riley Kayton is double majoring in Political Science and Editing, Writing, & Media at Florida State University. On any given day you can probably find her filming for the football team, or curled up with a good book.