Her Campus (HC): Tell us a little bit about yourself.

Daniel Wei (DW): I am from China. I came to the United States for the first time in last August, [so] I have been staying in America for almost seven months. I am currently in the my first year [for a] Master of Social Work.

HC: How did you learn to cook?

DW: I love cooking, but ironically I never cooked for my family at home, where food is always prepared either by my sister or my father. Believe it or not, I started cooking because I couldn’t afford eating out. And that began when I settled in another city for my vocation, following the completion of [my] undergraduate program. Lacking the knowledge in gastronomy, I had to resort to the recipes posted online. And they have been of enormous assistance for me in coming up with new dishes.

HC: What is your favorite dish that you have made?

DW: I am indeed very fortunate to reside in a townhouse where all [of the] necessary kitchenware for preparing Chinese food are in place. Before long, I got to know that there is a Chinese market nearby. With all [these prerequisites], plus relocation in a foreign country where everyday Chinese food seems afar, cooking naturally becomes part of the routine. Growing up in the Chinese culture that features dinner tables as socializing venues, I have been inviting my American friends over for dinner. The positive feedback heaped from them is both encouraging and motivating. I think so far the most popular dish among my American friends is dumpling, or jiaozi in Chinese, followed by fried rice. They tell me that the dumplings and fried rice I make are the most authentic they have ever tried and outweigh any other food served in local Chinese restaurants. For me, it’s hard to pick the food that I like best. I like being creative when making food, which usually comes out surprising in a pleasant way, thus providing me a sense of satisfaction.

HC: What occupation do you want to have in the future?

DW: I may [or] may not open my own restaurant as suggested by my friends because cooking is not enjoyable anymore when it is done for the sake of money. It’s very likely that I will engage in the field of social work and business.

HC: Other than cooking, what is another hobby of yours?

DW: I like many other stuff apart from cooking: singing, swimming, traveling and reading are definitely my recreational choices as well.

Cassi is a junior at Florida State University. As an Environmental Studies major, Cassi likes outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, and going to parks. She is part of a community Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega, which has brought her to some very unique and exciting experiences around Tallahassee. From washing dogs to preparing food for the elderly, Cassi loves to help the community out any way that she can. In her free time, Cassi likes to paint, read, take bubble baths, wreck her boyfriend at chess, beat the high score to Mrs. Pac Man at Voodoo Dog, play with her hamsters, or attend concerts. As always, this Seminole bleeds Garnet and Gold! 
Her Campus at Florida State University.