Artist Jenny Odom Returns to Tallahassee for Solo Exhibition

For those of you who are tired of the usual weekend activities like spending the night at the same old bars, it is always fun to find new things to do in the Tallahassee area. Whether exploring First Fridays or a stroll through Cascades Park, it’s fun to see the culture that Tallahassee has to offer. If you’ve never heard of the Council on Culture & Arts (COCA), then you’ve missed out on some great Tallahassee events. Currently, a local Tallahassee artist has made her way back home.

Jenny Odom is an artist known for her creative design of animals and cityscapes. Growing up in Tallahassee during the 70s and 80s, Odom attended Leon High School. Now making her way back to the area, COCA is hosting Odom’s solo exhibition from March 21 to May 21. Her exhibition focuses on celebrating Tallahassee and surrounding landscapes with about 30 pieces of artwork. These pieces feature an array of mediums, including vintage images and old phone books.

The exhibition can be found at the Artport Gallery, close to Tallahassee International Airport. The event is open from 8 a.m. until 11:30 p.m. and is surely not something to be missed. It is not only visually appealing but shows landmarks that we all know and love. If you love Odom’s art as much as I do, you can find more of her work here. Through the use of vibrant colors and cartoon-styled creations, I felt joy while gazing upon the intricate work. The talented artist is also the owner of Iggyart at High Cotton, her personal studio and gallery. The studio in Apalachicola, about an hour and a half drive from Tallahassee, offers classes for children and even provides a music venue.

Since this event is only happening for a limited time, I highly suggest you do not wait! However,  if Jenny Odom’s personal style is not fit for your tasting, the Council on Culture & Arts most likely has an upcoming event more suited to your style. COCA has put together the Tallahassee Arts Guide to better help residents find local arts. By visiting its webpage, you will find endless opportunities. For college students who are always on a budget, there is even a tab that shows free events in the area.

All Photos Courtesy of COCA.

Her Campus at Florida State University.