The Art of Bohindie

Meet Briana Ali, 19-year-old entrepreneur and Retail Merchandising & Product Development Major at FSU, who recently started her own business, Bohindie Stream. I discovered her online shop while browsing the internet one day and decided that I had to interview her for Campus Celebrity. 

Ashley Brown (HC): Just so our readers can get to know a bit more about what you do, could you give us a brief description about your business and what you sell?

Briana Ali (BA): My store is full of gypsy, bohemian, & indie inspired jewelry. Everything is handcrafted and handpicked and I use crystals as my main focus for the jewelry. I really like the meanings and energies behind them and try to bring them out in what I sell and create.

HC: Why did you decide to start your own business?

BA: I’ve actually had businesses in the past that I started when I was younger. These mostly included hand painted rocks with underlying meanings on them and they didn’t last very long. However when I first started going to Market Wednesday and was browsing through the vendors there, I decided that I wanted to sell something different than what they all offered. I could never find jewelry that I liked in stores and never even knew how to make jewelry until recently. I started researching in June and launched the store in July. 

HC: What gave you the motivation to start your jewelry line and who is your inspiration?

BA: Looking at other people’s success stories, those of designers ahead of me and people my age is what really got me going. I saw that it was possible for me to start something new and have success with it.

Jaw breaking is my main inspiration and I also look up to the owner of NastyGal. She started off on eBay and 6 years later it became a multi-million dollar business! I also follow other online shops and designers to see how they did it.

HC: Do you make all of the items in your store yourself?

BA: All of the stuff on Etsy is handmade. I also sell on Storenvy, kind of like how boutiques buy stuff and import things to sell. All of the crystals are handmade as well.

HC: What is your own personal style? What does it say about you?

BA: Well it changes day to day. I’ll be super bohemian one day and then rocker chic the next. I like to add an artistic flair to most things that I wear as well, and if I watch Mad Men I’ll dress kind of 60s inspired. I also love socks and tights, so fall is my favorite season! I’d have to say that my style shows that I have varying sides to me. It reflects my feelings and personality. I am a Gemini so I have 2 sides that come out in my items!

HC:  How do you describe yourself?

BA: I consider myself artistic and creative. I’m really involved in the music scene as well. My fashion portrays all of my sides as I draw from fashion, art, and music. That’s where the stream part of Bohindie Stream comes in, as it stands for music stream. I try to let new customers discover new music as well as enjoy my jewelry.

HC: Are you involved in any groups on campus?

BA: Yes I am with SWATCH magazine and am a member of AATC & Habitat for Humanity.

HC: When you’re not busy managing your business, what do you enjoy doing in your free time?

BA: I love going to concerts, that’s a big thing. Mumford and Sons this year was really good and Twenty One Pilots is my favorite band at the moment. Club Downunder concerts are actually really good too!

HC: What are your goals once you graduate FSU? What would you like to see happen to your business and what else do you want to accomplish?

BA: Well for the rest of my plans I think I want to be a fashion stylist. Like for T.V. shows and music artists. I think it’d be so cool to be backstage with someone before an event helping them get ready! For my business, I would like to keep developing the brand and get a larger customer base. Expand to a clothing line and keep growing Bohindie Stream. I also want to fine-tune some of the techniques I use and am trying to incorporate new styles into the jewelry as well. I also want to be a vendor at Warped tour once I get the clothing going. I don’t want it to be a phase. I want to get off of Etsy and build my own website!

Kalie Marsch is a senior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing and Media within the College of English. She aspires to work in magazine publishing and editing in the future, and lives for New York Fashion Week. When she's not busy with work or school, she loves to shop, read magazines and online style blogs, sit down with a good book, or go to the gym. She is obsessed with New York City and plans to move there after graduating from college. Kalie also loves being involved on campus and meeting new people. She is super excited to work with Her Campus and looks forward to helping make the FSU chapter the best it can be!