On Wednesday April 2, Her Campus FSU participated in NSDI’s S.A.F.E. Program at the FSU police station on campus. The goal of this program is to teach young women how to handle themselves if someone is to show aggressive behavior toward them. Learning self-defense is such an important instrument as a woman and does not only include hands on prevention; it is a combination of both mental and physical understanding. 

One of the mottos of the S.A.F.E. program is that self-defense is 90% awareness and 10% physical. This specific course was two hours in length and worked on the basic principles of self-defense. The first steps that all young women going through this course must master include creating a powerful stance and showing a potential attacker that you want them to leave you alone. Using your voice is also a very important factor in safety. Finding a strong and confident way to tell someone they are bothering you allows them to realize you are not afraid to speak up. Learning a few physical moves such as palm strikes can be vital to escaping a dangerous situation. It is important to constantly work on these skills to ensure that if a potentially harmful situation occurs, you are able to control the outcome to the best of your ability.

A series of practice rounds helps improve one’s skills and the instructors use pads to allow everyone a chance to show off what they have learned. It is not only a great workout, but it is extremely beneficial to know exactly how to unleash your inner warrior. Nobody wants to face a dangerous situation and cringe with fear. By undergoing this course, every young woman can become comfortable with their physical abilities to face an unsafe circumstance and outsmart their attacker. Officer Edwards explains to us how being one step ahead of your attacker is the best way to defeat them. Balancing your mind with your physical actions is key to staying safe.

Awareness is an important part of this course. A few standout tips that Officer Edwards provided were to check your surroundings and be aware of what is going on around you. If you look preoccupied on your cell phone at a bus stop, for example, you set yourself up to be a prime target. If you exude confidence and even make eye contact with people walking by, you are less likely to be vulnerable to harmful situations.

As told by instructor Officer Edwards, if every freshman could take this course, the females at FSU would definitely feel safer and better prepared. Another course offered at FSU is R.A.D, which goes more in depth and is great for learning more information about self-defense mechanisms. These courses are not just to make a onetime impact on young college women, but something to implement in everyday life for the rest of one’s life. If you are interested in the S.A.F.E. program or R.A.D program, contact the FSUPD Headquarters at: (850) 644-1234.

Amanda is a Senior at Florida State University who loves writing about local Tallahassee culture, anything fashion related, and tips to help all college girls live a happy & healthy lifestyle! She also has her own blog, www.affordablebyamanda.com where she talks about beauty, lifestyle, fashion and college related tips!