April is Child Abuse Prevention Month

April is Child Abuse Prevention Month and Prevent Child Abuse America is spreading the message that everyone can help great childhoods happen in their community.

There are multiple ad campaigns happening throughout the nation, partnering with local child welfare systems, along with social media campaigns all throughout this month! The hashtag #GreatChildhoods will be used on the national level, with more being implemented on the state level.

In addition to these, many will be planting pinwheel gardens to spread awareness. These gardens will be seen all throughout Tallahassee in the month of April, having blue pinwheels outside the front of many businesses.

The pinwheels symbolize the carefree spirit of great childhoods when children grow up happy, healthy, nurtured and safe. This month is used to acknowledge the importance of our communities working together to prevent child abuse and neglect and to draw attention to the effective solution of prevention.

Courtesy of NRtoday.com

Research suggests that many people are already playing a role in preventing child abuse and creating great childhoods in their communities, they just don’t realize it. A study commissioned by Prevent Child Abuse America shows that only 27% of Americans report that they are engaged in prevention. However, that same study showed that:

• 80% of Americans reporting donating goods, money or time to an organization supporting children and families,
  • 70% reported volunteering with children through places of worship, schools, and sports or academic clubs, and
  • 56% provided mentorship to a child in their family, neighborhood, or community.

Many different events will be happening throughout the month in Florida and on the national level to increase the awareness of child abuse, but one day in particular everyone can participate in! #WearBlue Day 2018 will take place on April 6, and all you simply have to do is wear blue and post on social media using that hashtag to help spread awareness of child abuse! As college students, we may not be able to donate money or much of our time, but such a small thing such as this will help.

About Prevent Child Abuse America

At Prevent Child Abuse America, 94 cents of every dollar they spend goes directly towards programs that help children and families thrive. Founded in 1972 in Chicago, Prevent Child Abuse America works to promote the healthy development of children and prevent child abuse before it can occur in order to help children to grow up and contribute in their communities. Our 50 state Chapter Network works every day to promote the kind of strategies and activities that make a difference locally as well as nationally and we help nearly 100,000 families a year through our signature Healthy Families America program.

Food Network and puppies for life.
Her Campus at Florida State University.