Life > Academics

Applying to Grad School: My 5 Tips for Applicants

In December 2022, I submitted my first and only application to grad school. After careful consideration, I decided to apply to a Master’s program as an out-of-field applicant, which was intimidating in and of itself. I always knew I wanted to continue my education after receiving my Bachelor’s degree, but I was not aware of how daunting the process could be. As a first-generation college student, having to navigate a graduate application with no guidance was difficult. I wished I would have utilized more resources to assist me in this process. In my mind, if I was able to apply for undergraduate degree programs by myself, then the graduate school process could not be much harder. Little did I know, the grad school application process required an immense amount of self-reflecting and preparation. Getting ready for grad school does not have to begin in your senior year. Preparation should begin well before application deadlines. It is important to note that grad school admissions committees look at students holistically, and acceptance does not depend on one quality or factor. 

Create Relationships with Professors 

As I finish my last semester as an undergrad, there is one thing I would have done differently. That is building a relationship with each of my professors. Although this may seem like a tedious task, professors are less intimidating than some people believe. In the end, they are humans just like us and have most likely been in the same shoes their students fill today. Something as simple as introducing yourself after the first class or attending office hours will facilitate a relationship that will pay off. Even in online courses, students can extend a warm welcome through email or request a meeting. Any attempt to build a relationship will leave a long-lasting impression and make it easier to agree to write a recommendation letter for you. Recommendation letters are almost always required for grad school application and having a plethora of professors to ask will be beneficial. 

Research Opportunities

Getting involved in research is one of the many ways to enhance your grad school application. Increasing your odds of acceptance in a competitive climate can be done through research experience. Multiple faculty members always have an active research project and are looking for assistance. Students can be research assistants and have the opportunity to engage in research rather than just read about it. Finding a research position can be as simple as reaching out to a faculty member and being honest about your intentions in the laboratory. A high-achieving and dedicated student will not have trouble finding a research position. 

Campus Involvement

Extracurricular involvement is often a key factor that will set you apart from other applicants. For example, let’s say that two students are applying to the same graduate program with the same GPA. If one student has multiple leadership positions and is an active member in organizations on campus, those experiences will set the student apart and will increase the likelihood of their acceptance. Bonus points for campus involvement that is relevant to your major and career field! 

Shadow/Volunteer Experience

One of the most rewarding experiences I have had during my time as an undergrad would have to be shadowing a speech-language pathologist in the Tallahassee area. Not only am I observing someone who holds the career I wish to achieve, but I am receiving hands-on experience that many other students may never get before grad school. Again, finding a shadow/volunteer experience can be quite intimidating. But, it never hurts to try! In my case, I reached out to several SLPs in the area and while only one responded, it was the best decision of my life. It completely validated my decision to pursue this career and built up my resume for grad school. 

GPA

As all students know, it is very important to maintain a high GPA as many grad schools have a minimum requirement for admission. A strong GPA and good grades in classes related to your major are vital when applying. Although it is not everything that the admissions committee will consider, it is a key factor.

Overall, these are just a few tips that I believe will help anyone in the process of applying to grad school. It is never too early to start applying and preparing the materials needed for each specific program. I am anticipating an admissions answer from the program I applied to soon and will be sure to keep all of you updated! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Isabelle Medina is currently a senior majoring in Political Science with a minor in Psychology and Communications at The Florida State University. She wishes to attend a graduate program where she will work to become a licensed Speech and Language Pathologist in the state of Florida. In her spare time, she enjoys writing and reading romance novels.