Apple just recently released its latest software update, iOS 14. As with most of the updates, Apple users are buzzing and talking about the new features this version has to offer. Here is what’s new to catch you up to speed.

Starting with the home screen, widgets were introduced. You can add as many or as little as you like. The widget categories range from weather to screen time to photos and more. Some users are utilizing an app called “Widget Smith” to customize their home pages further. These widgets provide easier access to information and a personal touch.

Next, there is the App Library. Your iPhone’s apps have been automatically assorted into a library, much like Android. It proves to be very organized and provides an overview of all of your apps. Categories here range from social to creativity to fitness and so on.

The “Messages” app received updates as well. iPhone users can now select a specific text bubble and reply directly to that message. This eliminates having to “at/@“ people in group chats. Overall, it lessens confusion and makes the process of texting smoother. Users can pin their favorite contacts to the top of the messaging app, as well. The selected contact will remain the primary focus of your messages. iPhone users can also see when someone is typing outside of the conversation, which heightens the text anticipation.

Additionally, there is a new “Translate” app. Similar to Google translate, users can now speak one language and have it appear in another. To facilitate communication even further, you can enlarge your translations for others to see. This is seemingly quite useful and aids in breaking down language barriers.

Apple store in the city
Photo by Thom Bradley from Unsplash

Facetime has a long-awaited feature. You can now use other apps while remaining on the call. The video of the person on the other end will minimize, but you can adjust the size. They will continue to see you. You can swipe them away if you want to and pause like before. You can do the same with shows you are watching. This new feature allows iPhone useres to minimize them, fit them to size, and continue to simultaneously use different apps. Speaking of calls, incoming phone calls will no longer take control of your whole screen. They will simply drop down as a banner.

Next up is the “Maps” app. Apple has added guides for you to make the most out of your location. Now users can see recommendations on outdoor activities, eating, attractions and more. Items that you would search for while on vacation are now available in the app automatically.

Notes also has a neat update. When drawing, you can hold down to perfect your shapes. No more squiggly lines; just perfect shapes. This is an attention to detail that makes all the difference. Another aspect where details were added is the “Memoji’s.” Users can further customize with new styles and show this off with new stickers.

There are finer things not mentioned here, but take a look at Apple’s website if you want the full rundown. For more in-depth descriptions, you may want to check out The Verge as well.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Her Campus at Florida State University.