Andie Garcia: FSU Advance Party Campaign Manager

Name: Andie Garcia

Year: Sophomore

Major: Media Communication Studies

Age: 19

Hometown: Fort Lauderdale

Courtesy: Andie Garcia

Her Campus (HC): Hi Andie! What made you decide to attend Florida State?

Andie Garcia (AG): I have always had a love for the Seminoles, but once it came time to actually applying and deciding, FSU was the only place that felt like home. The campus, the people, I could go on and on about how welcomed I felt just as a visitor. Once I toured, there was no doubt in my mind that I was a Nole.

HC: How did you get involved with the Advance Party here at FSU? What drew you into joining?

AG: I didn’t hold many leadership positions in high school, but early on in my freshman year, I met my friend, Nathan, who was fully involved all over campus and wanted to share his experiences with me. I attended some events to support him and met new people who encouraged me to participate in the election as a campaign captain. During the campaign, I spent hundreds of hours with the most inspiring people I have ever met, and I became fully dedicated to the organization.

HC: Congrats on being the new campaign manager! How were you able to become the campaign manager and what would you tell others who want to become involved with the party but don’t know how?

AG: As a nervous freshman, I didn’t have the confidence to apply for anything, but the people that I met in Advance saw potential in me, and encouraged me to follow my passion for the organization and apply for the executive board. After many drafts of applications and way too many mock interviews, I was informed that I got the position. There is an incredible group of people on the board with me, and their love and support has empowered me in my position. I would tell people who want to get involved that they won’t regret it. There are many opportunities to get involved, whether that’s as a campaign captain, member of a committee, a mentor/mentee in our mentorship program, or as a participant at our service events and workshops. If you are interested in learning more about Advance or getting involved, we’re very active on social media and we always encourage you to reach out to us! Additionally, I would love to answer any and all questions you may have, and I know the rest of the executive board would be happy to as well.

Courtesy: Andie Garcia

HC: What other activities are you involved with on campus?

AG: My first year I was involved with a co-ed community service fraternity that lead me to Dance Marathon and Relay for Life; 20 hours of dancing and 10 inches of hair donated later, and I am fully involved with both. I’m excited to explore everything else FSU has to offer me this year.

HC: Sounds like you were super busy during your freshman year here. What do you enjoy doing on your days off from school and what are your favorite places in Tallahassee to spend with friends or just relax at?

AG: I love relaxing in my apartment with my roommates and best friends, but most importantly, I love my bed. Outside of my cozy little corner in Tally, I love exploring the fresh water springs and state parks. The nature in North Florida is incredible and I wish more people took the time to appreciate it.

HC: Nothing better than a nice cozy bed right? What were you or still are passionate about that you hope you can continue to pursue?

AG: I’m very passionate about acting! I’ve done musical theatre since the age of six, so it holds a special place in my heart.  Although I’m not studying it, I have participated in a few student films with the film club. It will always be a passion of mine; I hope some day to continue acting and figure out a way to incorporate into my life forever.

HC: And lastly, what is your favorite part about being a Florida State Seminole?

AG: THE SPIRIT!!!!  I absolutely love how spirited this campus and its fans can get. Going to my first game was incredible! I got to experience true Nole pride and cheer on our team. Go Seminoles!!

Her Campus at Florida State University.