Culture > News

Analyzing Angela Merkel’s Time as One of the World’s Most Prominent Leaders

After almost two decades as chancellor of Germany and guiding the European Union through some of its darkest times in contemporary history, Angela Merkel is finally stepping down and retiring from this role.

Born in 1954, she holds a degree in physics and lived the first part of her life in East Germany through the Cold War. Merkel has seen and done many things in her life that have shaped her to be the leader that she has been leading up to her retirement.

Her administration has been marked by her humility, compassion and rationality when dealing with major issues. These vary from immigration, climate change and women’s rights. She has become incredibly well-known, among a variety of things, for her notable response to the Euro-zone crisis. During this time, in general terms, she implemented a plan to help other countries with the recovery process and help raise the monetary value of the Euro. 

These actions have been said to greatly benefit Europe as a whole. Moreover, it is said that many countries, particularly in Southern Europe, have been set on a path to improvement. However, Merkel has been heavily criticized for these actions. In opposition to her stance, there has been increasing momentum in the uprising of ultra-nationalist movements.

Without her presence, many inevitably question what will happen to the stage of world politics. It has been said that Germany has served as a “bridge between East and West.” For several, Merkel’s leadership style served as a vessel for stability within the continent and across the world. It is not easy to predict how international relations in the world will continue to take place.

Many political analysts speculate that the potential problem arising from her retirement has less to do with who will replace her, but rather the vacuum that she will leave behind in Europe. According to Politico, this successor will likely be more focused on domestic politics than on international relations, which are of special importance in southwest Europe and the United States. Others, however, speculate that perhaps the President of France, Emmanuel Macron, can be the new head figure of power in western Europe.

A role that many viewed as incredibly taxing, has proven to be a vital one. Without this role, Europe and consequently the world, may not have been able to come out of the global financial crisis. Merkel is still working on various items and policies to leave to her successor, which she hopes will continue the path she has set: the great hope of Germany, Europe and the world. 

Angela Merkel has been and will continue to be for many years and generations to come; a political icon for many. Not to mention, Merkel has set an example for girls and young women everywhere, allowing them to follow in her footsteps. She has shown that women have a place within the political arena and can actively make changes around the world.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Cynthia is a senior working toward obtaining a degree in International Relations, and two minors in Geography and Economics from Florida State University. She loves to watch historical documentaries, read, and cook in her spare time. You can also find her outside exploring nature or inside spending time with family and friends, and occasionally imagining a life in the South of France.