Life > Experiences

An Interview with Khloe Riordan: FSU Women’s Water Polo President

Water polo is a popular water sport and here at FSU, we have our very own women’s water polo team and club teams. Khloe Riordan is the president of the water polo club team, and it’s a great way to get involved in women’s organizations on campus.

Her Campus (HC): How did you become interested in Women’s Water Polo and what steps did you take to become president? 

Khloe Riordan (KR): I started playing water polo when I was about 11 years old. At the time, the sport was still growing in central Florida, and I joined a club where I played until I moved to college. I had an opportunity to play at the collegiate level, but ultimately decided going to FSU was the best choice for me. When I got here, I joined the club and was elected to the exec board my sophomore year to be the social media and fundraising chair. From there, I became really involved in and out of the pool with the team, and I ran for president my junior year and am now in my second year at this position. 

HC: What is the most rewarding part of leading a prominent women’s organization on campus? 

KR: It’s difficult to pinpoint one thing that makes being president of this organization so rewarding, but overall, the sense of pride I have of these ladies is the most overwhelming. Being on a sport club at FSU means you are encouraged to participate in community service, fundraising and other positive actions in the Tallahassee Community. Having the ability to lead such a great group of women to support this community and the people within it reminds me that there is so much good in the world. It is extremely rewarding to see my team, and other women’s clubs, volunteering and working hard to better others without thinking of themselves. I feel so much pride representing them. 

HC: How does the Women’s Water Polo Club help to build and strengthen connections on campus? 

KR: Being a part of a club like women’s water polo has allowed me to meet so many people, even outside of the club. It has allowed me to get to know staff and faculty at the Leach Center, Morcom Pool, the amazing student directors, sport club coordinators and everyone else involved with sport clubs. We all bond over something—whether it be the pool space, or encouraging others to attend our events—being in this club has given me the opportunity to share something I love with others who play a role in our organization. Without this club, I wouldn’t understand the hard work the sport clubs office and Leach pool staff do for our school. The best connections, of course, are from my teammates who have become some of my best friends. I have learned so much about people and their backgrounds, ideas, and many of them I would have never met. 

HC: Who is someone within the club who inspires you and why? 

KR: Samantha Klupchak inspires me every single day. Sam was the president during her undergraduate before me, and she is about to graduate from grad school here at FSU. Sam and I are both coaching and playing this year, which has been a learning curve in itself. Sam is extremely hardworking, understanding and willing to adapt, which to me are all required of a great leader. I look up to Sam, not only because she has helped guide me through my time as president and now co-coaches, but because she reminds me that even when things are tough and messy, everything works out for a reason. Having her be a part of this club has changed my life!

HC: What is one piece of advice you have for women who are new to campus that may feel like they don’t have a place? 

KR: The biggest piece of advice for any woman new to FSU is to never give up on yourself. My freshman year, I wanted to leave FSU so badly because, although I was part of women’s water polo, I didn’t think this was the place for me. Despite that, I stayed, and I could not imagine myself anywhere else now. If you are feeling like you don’t belong, don’t quit on yourself! Florida State has so many opportunities, clubs, organizations, jobs and amazing people who want nothing but the best for you. It might be scary to leave something behind and try something new, or to reach out to people but there is always someone and something here at FSU for everyone, you just have to believe it. When one door opens, another one closes!

HC: What is one thing you wish was different about women’s involvement on campus?  

KR: One thing I wish was different about women’s involvement on campus was that it got more recognition. I am currently the chair of the Sport Club Executive Council, and the biggest change we have all agreed is that organizations need more recognition. I think women’s organizations are often some of the most involved and help bring about positive change to the campus, but it is overlooked and truly, I don’t know why. The women of Florida State made this university what it is, and to this day continue to make the campus one of the best universities in the nation. I hope our involvement as women on campus continues and is respected by all members of Florida State. 

The FSU Women’s Water Polo team and FSU Sport Clubs can be found on Instagram.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest!

Media and Communications student interested in writing for other college women.