Amy Colon: A Lady in Uniform

If you’re on the hunt for a strong, intelligent female role model, your search ends here. Presenting Amy Colon, a brainiac with stellar academics, sorority girl, caring volunteer in the community, and a member of the army. Seriously, this girl is wicked smart, toting two majors and a couple of minors, already ranked in the army, and a member of two different honor societies at Florida State. Deeply compassionate and with a love for helping others, Amy Colon is a profoundly well-rounded woman, and an excellent idol to look up to.

Name: Amy Colon

Year in School: Senior

Major(s): Psychology and Sociology, with minors in Social Welfare and Military Science

Her Campus (HC): What are your plans for after graduation?

Amy Colon (AC): I will commission as a Second Lieutenant on May 3, 2014, and after graduating I plan on spending time with my family before I have to report to my Basic Officer Leadership Course at Ft. Sill [in] Oklahoma. My job in the army is going to be a Field Artillery Officer.

HC: What made you decide to get involved in the military?

AC: Growing up I saw the commercials for the marines or army, and they would motivate me so much. I just looked up to the profession because it is something that is honorable and serving our country. All I really wanted to do was help people, and I can’t think of a greater profession. In high school, I joined JROTC and it really solidified my decision.

HC: What’s it like to be a woman in uniform?

AC: I think it feels so empowering to be a woman in uniform. I love my uniform, I feel like I am changing lives and doing something good. At times, being a woman in the military means you have to prove yourself more, but it just makes me work harder to be “on par” with the guys.

HC: For you, what has been the hardest part about joining the army?

AC: I think it’s been being confident in myself. I always underestimate how much I know and what I can do. I’m always afraid that I’ll fail at something, but really it’s [about] learning as you go.

HC: Aside from the ROTC, what clubs or organizations are you involved with?

AC: I am president of Hermandad de Sigma Iota Alpha, Inc. as well as the Hazing Prevention Committee Chair for the multicultural Greek Council. I’m in Psi Chi Honors and Sigma Alpha Lambda National Leadership and Honors Organization. I [also] volunteer at the Big Bend Homeless Coalition. [Also,] I am a member of the Florida State Ranger Challenge Team for ROTC.

Stomping on gender roles with her military issued boots, all the while helping the community, involving herself in Greek life, and still managing amazing academics, it seems like Amy Colon can do it all. Truly honorable and compassionate at heart, Colon humbly and nobly seeks to serve her country and help others. Thusly, Amy Colon is a rising star — and a Campus Celebrity if there ever was one.

Her Campus at Florida State University.