American Horror Story’s Next Season Is Actually Going to Be Based on the 2016 Election

From insane nuns to witches, freaks and vampires, American Horror Story has been ranked on the top charts for six seasons now. Going onto its seventh season, Ryan Murphy has finally let out the detail we have all been dying to know: What is the next theme for this upcoming season?

“The season that we begin shooting in June is going to be about the election that we just went through,” says Murphy on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen. Murphy failed to quiet the minds of American Horror Story fanatics, because now, we are all dying to know more.

We are all familiar with the most recent election and the polarized opinions that many individuals have of it. When Cohen asked if there would be a Trump character, all Murphy was able to respond was, “maybe.” There is speculation that season seven of American Horror Story is going to cause so much controversy that it’s bound to have a growing audience.

“I think that will be interesting for a lot of people,” says Murphy. What’s interesting is the take Murphy will have on the election as expressed through the show. On the surface, the show known for its horror, but the drive behind the show is the psychology of human beings. America has very opinionated thoughts on what is currently going on in the White House, so it most definitely will be interesting for a lot of people to see what overarching psychological weakness Murphy decides to attack.

Season seven is the most anticipated season yet because the election that had just passed was extremely scandalous. There are a lot of potentially corrupt situations that Murphy can illustrate in a way that develops each character’s individuality, rather than attacking a certain individual. It is a slippery slope for Murphy because Americans feel so strongly towards both candidates, but I perceive he is going to create the show more around moralistic values rather than a fight to win the presidency. It is especially important to note that he is triggering specific, and real individuals, rather than just a concept of an event that had occurred.

Ryan Murphy is quite a genius. Throughout the past seasons, he’s always had a theme that dates back to the past. Murphy can play around with this theme so much, since it is one of the timeliest themes he has to date. Both candidates have both not had the purest past; therefore, this election acts as Murphy’s playing ground for American Horror Story. With such a hot topic, I know that everyone will be at the edge of their seats dying to see it come to life, especially because we are currently living its reality.

I love sarcasm, broadcast journalism, and social media. I have an undeniable charm and wit. I'm most likely watching "The Mindy Project." Oh yes, and I write stories. Major: Editing, Writing, and Media Florida State University
Her Campus at Florida State University.