American Horror Story Season 9 Theme & Cast Reveal

American Horror Story showrunner Ryan Murphy announced the theme for season nine of the hit show in a thrilling teaser on Instagram. The video shows a woman running through the woods in fear of an unknown masked person. The teaser trailer ends with the title ‘AHS 1984’ which appears to be a tribute to the slasher film craze that saw the release of many iconic horror films in the year 1984. Films like A Nightmare On Elm StreetFriday the 13th: The Final Chapter, and Children of the Corn could all be possible inspirations for the kind of horror seen in the upcoming new season of AHS.

Image Courtesy: TooFab

Evan Peters, star of every previous season of AHS, announced that he would not be returning for season nine in an interview at WonderCon with Extra TV. When he was asked if he would have a role in the new season of AHS his simple response was that he is going to “sit a season out.” After years of seeing Peters act out sinister roles that made fans both love him and fear him, it’s hard to imagine a season without him.

Peters and Sarah Paulson are the only two cast members that have appeared in every season of AHS. Paulson has yet to confirm if she will appear in season nine of the show. Although in a 2018 interview with The Hollywood Reporter, she said, “I want to be doing this show until I’m 95. They’re going to have to drag me out of there kicking and screaming. That being said, I have no idea what Ryan’s plans are for me. It’s tantamount to me walking in and saying, ‘Do you want me to go left or right?’ and then whatever he says, I will just go there. So I don’t know what his plans are for me as it pertains to Horror Story, but there will be crawl marks on the walls from them trying to drag me out if they ever ask me to go.” Based on these remarks it’s likely that she could return for the ninth season.

Image courtesy: Giphy

Murphy revealed in an Instagram post that series regular Emma Roberts is set to star alongside Olympic medalist Gus Kenworthy, who will be playing her love interest. The cast members are usually confirmed slowly over time, so we can expect more stars to be revealed as the premiere approaches. The release date has not been announced yet, but it’s projected to follow the previous seasons with a premiere in the Fall television lineup. American Horror Story has already been renewed for a tenth season, so it is also set to return in the Fall of 2020. So, who knows, maybe there’s a chance we could see our favorite horror heartthrob Evan Peters return in the tenth season of AHS

As for this season, we can be sure that it will deliver the thrills and chills that has made this show so exciting to watch. Based on the 80’s theme and knife-bearing Jason-esque elements that are featured in the teaser trailer, it seems like there will be lots to look forward to as we dive back into the year ‘84 this season!

Tyra Joseph is a graduate of Florida State University with a dual degree in Editing, Writing & Media, and Digital Media Production with minors in Information Technology and Film Studies. She began as a Staff Writer for Her Campus FSU in August 2018 and then served as a Content Editor in her final two semesters as a Nole!
Her Campus at Florida State University.