Amanda Gomez: Recruitment Counselor and Capitol Intern Galore

Name: Amanda Gomez

Year: Junior

Hometown: Miami, FL

Major: International Affairs and Political Science

Age: 21

Courtesy: Amanda Gomez

Her Campus (HC): What’s your major? What are some of your favorite and least favorite classes?

Amanda Gomez (AG): I’m currently a double major in International Affairs and Political Science. My favorite classes so far have been Introduction to International Affairs, Public Health, and Emergency Management. My least favorite class was definitely Political Science Research (ew).

HC: Tell me about your summer studying abroad in China. What was the trip like and how has it changed you?

AG: Studying abroad in China was definitely an experience for the books. I always imagined my study abroad experience to be similar to what people experience in Valencia or Florence: lots of eating, going out and minimal intensive classes. China was definitely more education-based than other programs, but when I did get free time to explore the country, it was incredible. It opened my eyes to a culture completely different than our typical American culture and it was interesting to see how people our age live their lives on the other side of the world. I definitely came back home with a global perspective on things and an appreciation for how we live here in America.

Courtesy: Amanda Gomez

HC: What organizations are you involved in on and off campus?

AG: I’m a member of Sigma Delta Tau and the Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity.

HC: You recently started an internship at the Capitol. How did you find this opportunity? What’s your typical day on the job like?

AG: I’m currently interning for the Florida Police Benevolent Association, which is a politically proactive labor organization that represents law enforcement officers in negotiations for wages, benefits and terms of their employment. On a typical day, I shadow my bosses at the Capitol while they meet with senators and representatives to talk about legislation they want to put into action. I actually got this internship through my big in my sorority because she interned here before me and loved it, so I decided to interview for the same position.

HC: You also recently got selected to be a Recruitment Counselor. Tell me about why you wanted to become a counselor and what was the application process like?

AG: I originally wanted to become a Recruitment Counselor when I got to know mine when I went through recruitment my freshman year. She was so helpful and happy during recruitment week and was a great role model even after the process was over. Being in my sorority for three years now and being surrounded by amazing people the whole time motivated me to want to help other women find their place in the FSU Greek Life community. This is what helped me decided to go ahead and apply to be a Recruitment Counselor. The process is very selective: you start by applying, then go through a group interview and an individual interview. After that, you find out if you made it or not!

HC: What are you most looking forward to while being a Recruitment Counselor and what do you hope to get out of it?

AG: I am definitely most looking forward to meeting women from other sororities and just having fun! I hope to gain leadership abilities from this entire process because I feel like I still have a lot to learn when it comes to being an effective leader.

HC: You seem to be very involved both on and off campus. Do you have any advice for incoming freshman about how to get involved?

AG: Get in involved right away! That’s something I wish someone told me when I was a freshman because there are certain organizations and events that I wish I could have been a part of starting my first year at FSU. The more years of experience you have under your belt, the better. Also, FSU has so much to offer—you just have to do a little research and find what best interests you! A great way to start is by looking up the clubs and organizations FSU offers, pick one you might like and just go to a meeting. Most of them are free and informational and you’ll for sure meet some cool people who will have the same interests as you!

HC: What are your plans for the summer? Do you have any plans post-graduation yet?

AG: As of now, I’ll be taking classes to prepare me for the LSAT. If all goes as planned, I’ll take the test, apply to law schools and be a law student after I graduate! I would love to go to school in D.C. and then move back to Miami to be a real estate attorney. But for now, I’ll just focus on surviving my junior year. 

Megan is a freshman at Florida State University studying Retail Merchandising. She is originally from Miami, FL, but dreams of living in New York. In her spare time she enjoys writing, blogging, watching Grey's Anatomy reruns, and all things fashion. Twitter: meganmaguire_ Instagram: meggmaguiree
Her Campus at Florida State University.