Amanda Casanueva Talks Political Aspirations, Feminism and Self-Love

Amanda Casanueva is a magnetic force in a dull world. Interviewing her is akin to a coffee date with a long-time friend. I sat down with the sophomore on a rainy weekday, and was struck by Casanueva’s grace and bubbling energy. Below we discuss the importance of girl power, pursing your passion and standing up for what you believe is right. Casanueva says she can’t color inside the lines to save her life, but in this case, it just might.

Name: Amanda Casanueva

Age: 19

Major: Political Science 

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Relationship Status: Single. AKA Taylor Swift when she was convinced she wasn’t going to find love.

Photo By: Annie Grafe

Her Campus (HC): Why did you choose to attend Florida State University?

Amanda Casanueva (AC): When I was a junior in high school I toured the campus and as soon as I saw Suwanee and the rest of campus I was like, “This is Hogwarts and this is where I need to be,” but aside from that, they have a great political science program. I fell in love with it from the beginning and knew this is where I had to be.

HC: If you had to choose, what would be your favorite part of college life?

AC: The fact that I’m away from home and get to live this new life on my own is exciting. There’s something new every day. I like how we’re a community. We have this shared sense of being.

HC: What is one experience you’ve had this year that you wouldn’t trade for anything?

AC: I’d say getting involved [on campus]. In my previous semesters at FSU I didn’t really get involved. I mean, I had my sorority, but this semester I’ve decided to come out of my shell and pursue things. It’s been really rewarding and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’d rather be doing something all the time that’s productive and proactive and makes new connections with people than sitting at home watching Netflix. Not that that’s not great, I love to watch “Friends and “Friday Night Lights.” 

HC: What have you been involved in that fulfills you as a person?

AC: My freshman year I had an internship at the Capitol. Working under a legislative aide and getting to see how the political system works firsthand most definitely brought me a sense of fulfillment. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it and am really looking forward to a future in politics.

HC: What are the different organizations you’ve been a part of that strengthen you?

AC: Being a part of my sorority Kappa Kappa Gamma has really had an impact on my self-development. Constantly being surrounded by women who empower me and inspire me has really helped strengthen my character. Being a part of Noles Engaged in Politics my freshman year, and participating in the Women’s Leadership Institute this past semester also really helped strengthen me. Recently, I’ve been selected to be a member of the College of Social Sciences and Public Policy Leadership Council and I cannot wait to see what I gain from it. I am really passionate about my major and my college and am genuinely so excited for this opportunity.

HC: Why these particular organizations?

AC: I’m really passionate about politics because it’s what I want to pursue—that’s my dream. I’m also really passionate about being a Democrat and I wanted to be involved in the club. I got involved in the Big Event because I love community service. I got involved with my sorority because I was looking for a way to make the transition of leaving home easier, and it definitely has made it easier.

HC: What is one organization or movement that you advocate for?

AC: Planned Parenthood. This is going to get really political really quickly, sorry. Who is a man to tell me what I’m allowed to do with my body? Aside from that, abortion is only a small portion of Planned Parenthood, and people are so set on defunding it when it provides so many wonderful services to people. It provides health care information and breast examinations.

HC: What is your goal in life?

AC: To be Olivia Pope. Well, a mixture of Olivia Pope and Taylor Swift. I’d like to be a strong, badass woman who is empowered and goes after what she wants. Personality wise I want to be Taylor Swift.

HC: What do you want to do with your life?

AC: I want to go to law school, for sure. After I graduate I want to move to New York and go to law school at Columbia University.

HC: Who is someone that inspires you?

AC: Besides the previous women I’ve noted in this interview? My mother for sure. She’s my biggest inspiration.

HC: Why does she inspire you?

AC: She works hard every day to support me and she motivates me. She always encourages me to pursue my dreams, no matter what other people tell me, no matter how big they may be. Not many people tell you that going to an Ivy League law school is a doable thing, but my mom is like, “Yeah you can do it.” That’s the way parents should be.

HC: Are you a feminist?

AC: I’m a feminist and frankly, I’m proud of being a feminist. I think there’s this stigma with the word “feminism” and it’s often associated with men-hating women. It’s about equality of the sexes. Simple as that. If you’re not a feminist, then it’s your loss because women are awesome and we deserve to be treated equally.

HC: What does the word feminist mean to you?

AC: It’s empowering. We were treated so poorly for so long. I hate the stigma associated with it. People associate it with someone on a men hating warpath. That’s not it at all.

HC: What is your favorite part of you?

AC: I don’t think I’m ordinary, far from it. I’m a really dynamic person, I have a lot of components to me and I like that about myself. I’m passionate about what I do. I like being unique.

Hi, I'm Amanda. I'm a Creative Writing major with an affinity for take-your-breath-away-sentences. I also like solid 80s rock jams and blogging about my feelings. I'm constantly hopeful I can one day escape to the moon. For now, I'm enjoying attending a wonderfully diverse school and take pride in my beautiful group of friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.