pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Alyssa Adam: From Campus to Camping

Name: Alyssa Adam

Year: Senior

Major: Management Information Systems

Hometown: Orlando, FL

Relationship Status: Single

Photo By: Annie Grafe

Her Campus (HC): How did you initially get involved on campus?

Alyssa Adam (AA): I joined Delta Gamma my sophomore year, which has opened up a lot of opportunities for me in terms of being involved on campus. After joining my sorority, I was able to spend more time doing volunteer work and raising money and awareness for our foundation, Service for Sight. I have also been able to get more involved in the Panhellenic Community, where this past fall I served as a Recruitment Counselor. 

HC: What is the craziest thing you had to deal with during recruitment week?

AA: There was a lot of sprinting from house to house and jumping over bushes that I was not prepared for.

HC: Seems like quite the workout! What are your plans for after graduation?

AA: I plan on taking the summer off to travel before I start my career. As a graduation present, my mom is taking me to Iceland for a week, which I’m really excited about! Once I get back from Iceland, I have to start preparing for my month long hike through Oregon on the Pacific Crest Trail.

HC: What inspired you to want to hike the Pacific Crest Trail?

AA: I originally got the idea to hike the PCT while watching the movie Wild on a plane. It’s a story about a woman who decides to hike the entire trail, a total of 2,600 miles. I thought it would not only be a really cool experience, but also a great way to see beautiful scenery that I’ve only witnessed in photos. Not to mention, I love camping and am excited to take it to the next level.

HC: I know that the main character faces a lot of challenges throughout the movie Wild; is there any part of your hike that you are nervous about?

AA: Bears, and maybe my personal safety if we’re being honest! This will be my first big hike so I don’t really know what to expect, but I’ve already started preparing.

HC: What exactly does preparing to hike the PCT entail?

AA: Calculating miles, planning campsite stops, organizing how I will get food along the trail and most importantly, preparing myself physically.

Photo By: Annie Grafe

HC:  If you could choose any celebrity to accompany you on the hike, who would it be?

AA: Miles Teller. He’s really funny and definitely not bad to look at.

HC: I can’t disagree with that. After you successfully hike the PCT, what’s next?

AA: Sometime in late summer I will be starting my job in IT consulting at company called Protiviti in Orlando. I’m definitely a little nervous because it means that I have to be an adult, but I interned there last summer so I am excited to be back!

HC: It seems like you have an exciting summer and future ahead of you. Do you have any last minute advice for those who are still trying to figure things out?

AA: Make as many connections as you can because you never know when someone will come around that could have an impact on your life. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.