Aly & AJ Are Coming to Tallahassee: Here’s What We Know

On Sep. 4, Club Down Under announced that they will be hosting musical duo Aly & AJ in concert at The Moon on Oct. 22. Tickets for the general public went on sale on The Moon’s website on Sep. 6, going for $25 per person. Tickets will be free at the door for FSU students with a valid student I.D. An opener has not yet been announced. The announcement of the concert has generated a lot of excitement, with the Facebook event having already almost 500 people going and another 1.9K interested. If you don’t understand the hype, let’s take it back to their 2007 Disney Channel hit, “Potential Breakup Song.”

Other than this iconic song that made everyone hate their nonexistent boyfriend back in the 2000s, the sister, pop duo released three albums during their Disney Channel era, one being a holiday album. Besides their music career, you may know them from the Disney Channel Original Movie, Cow Bells, or even their series of mystery books. Regardless of how or if you’re familiar with Aly & AJ, they are back and better than ever. Let’s take a look at what they have been up to during these past 10 years.

After their peak of fame back in 2007, the sisters decided to focus on acting. Both Aly and AJ appeared in notable T.V. shows and movies between 2007, some of the most notable being The CW’s iZombie, Easy A, Grown Ups 2, ABC’s The Goldberg’s and Disney’s Secretariat. They made a brief return to music in 2013, releasing a couple of songs under the name 78violet. In 2017, they released their single “Take Me” under the name of Aly & AJ. This would be their first piece of music to be released under that name in 10 years, hence the name of their 2017 EP, Ten Years

Courtesy: Aly & AJ

Since their return in 2017, Aly & AJ have released an album, which built off of their EP of the same name, Ten Years. Most recently, they released an EP entitled Sanctuary. Their concert at The Moon is listed as part of their Sanctuary Tour on their website. Therefore, the set will include songs off of their most recent EP, so don’t come in expecting songs from their Disney Channel days. In terms of their throwback songs, past sets for this tour included “Closure,” “Like Woah,” “Rush” and “Chemicals React.” According to various online sources, the duo will occasionally return to the stage for an encore, depending on the crowd. During this encore, they might play an additional older song, which is usually “Potential Breakup Song.”

As previously mentioned, you can expect to hear songs off Sanctuary and Ten Years, both of which have been described as having an 80s inspired, airy, synth-pop sound. Aly & AJ’s new sound has gained popularity among old fans and members of the indie-pop scene alike, which is why this concert, in particular, has generated a lot of enthusiasm among FSU students. Because of this, there is a possibility that the concert might sell out, although this is not certain according to CDU’s Concert Talent Buyer, Kassadie Nieto.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest!

Emily is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she enjoys singing, discovering new music, and tracking down the best coffee in Tallahassee. Find her on Instagram @emischutz.
Her Campus at Florida State University.