Alpha Phi President Is Only the Beginning for Sydney Brehm

Name: Sydney Brehm

Year: Senior

Hometown: Coronado, California

Major: Elementary Education

Relationship Status: Newly Single 

Her Campus (HC): What are you currently involved in on campus?

Sydney Brehm (SB): I am the President of Alpha Phi, I am on the leadership council of the Student Alumni Association and I am a member of both Phi Eta Sigma and Order of Omega. I also consider myself very involved in my major, which may sound weird, but we are all really close since there are only 31 of us. We all get to know each other really well because we take every class together for a year and a half.

HC: How did you reach the position of President of Alpha Phi? Was it always on the map for you?

SB: I decided my second semester of college that I really wanted to be more involved in Alpha Phi. I just started going to more activities and asking girls to hangout. I really tried to get to know everyone, be a positive person and, most importantly, be a good sister. I never imagined that I would end up becoming president. I realized last year that I had a really deep passion and love for Alpha Phi and I wanted to help us succeed so I thought I would be a great president. My goal was to be the best I could be and maintain a positive environment throughout my sorority, which I hope I am doing.

HC: What is your favorite thing about being president?

SB: I like knowing that I am helping to create something. It feels good that I know if I put in a lot of effort, we will hopefully continue to succeed as a chapter. I love getting to know all of my sisters and hear their opinions as well. It is a great advantage that I have because I get to be around – since that is what is expected of me – but I also want to be around so I have a chance to know everyone.

HC: What is your favorite thing about Alpha Phi?

SB: The support that it has given me through my major and from being so far from home. My best friend is in my major and is also in Alpha Phi. It was really hard to adjust here because I came to Florida State and knew absolutely no one. It is the best thing to have people who are always there for you no matter what. It is really cool to know I can depend on 250 people because I really haven’t ever had anything like that before. 

Courtesy: Sydney Brehm

HC: Why did you choose FSU?

SB: It is actually a funny story because it all just fell into place. I applied to schools in California and then big southern schools including Florida State because I have extended family in Florida and my family is originally from the South. FSU was the first school that I visited and I absolutely fell in love with it. I wanted big Greek life and football, which we don’t really have out West besides USC. I wanted something different and that’s exactly what I got.

HC: What is your dream job?

SB: Well, I knew I wanted to be a teacher since I was in the first grade. I recently have been considering taking a different path, though. I have loved what I have been able to do with Alpha Phi so much that I might apply for a full-time position, not necessarily with Alpha Phi, but along those lines.

HC: What advice would you give incoming freshman?

SB: Choose who you surround yourself with because that is going to affect who you will become. If you surround yourself with positive people who care about each other and academics and are genuinely nice people then they will rub off on you. If you choose to surround yourself with great people in the beginning then you will have no problem being great yourself.

HC: What would you say to someone who is on the fence about joining Greek life?

SB: Try it. It is the greatest thing that I have ever joined. If you make the best of it, put in the effort and really get to know people then you will benefit from it. You will gain friends who will always be there for you.

HC: Can you give our readers one fun fact about yourself?  

SB: I speak three languages: French, Spanish and English.

HC: Where is your favorite place to eat in Tallahassee?

SB: I probably can’t say Moe’s right? I would say the Alpha Phi house.

HC: If you had one wish what would it be?

SB: This is kind of lame, but I would wish that everyone in the world would get a quality education.

HC: How do you unwind from a busy day?

SB: I watch Gilmore Girls and call my mom.

HC: Garnet or gold?

SB: Gold.

HC: Osceola or Renegade?

SB: Renegade.

HC: What is your favorite game day memory?

SB: When we won the National Championship. 12 sisters stayed with me in California and we all went to the game in Pasadena with my parents. It was really great to bring my three favorite things together: Alpha Phi, family and FSU in one awesome celebration.

Miranda is a Senior at FSU pursuing a degree in Sports Management. Her interests mainly include sports, sports, and more sports although she was never the athlete (oops). Her love for sports balances out her girly ways. She can sit down and cheer on her favorite New York teams with just as much passion as buying a new top (on sale of course). She is absolutely obsessed with her puggle, scrolling Twitter, and sleeping in. She hopes to rule the sports world someday, own a baby elephant, live on the beach, and have a big family. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.