Allie Clark: The Queen of Halloween

Name: Allie Clark

Year: Senior

Major: Psychology and Marketing

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Relationship Status: Single

Her Campus (HC): What are you currently involved in at FSU?

Allie Clark (AC): I’m pretty involved at FSU. I’m in a couple business/professional clubs, such as American Marketing Association (AMA) and Women in Business (WIB). I’m also a part of Psi Chi, which is the Psychology Honor Society. They do a lot of great info sessions for things like DIS or Grad School. I’m also a part of a community service organization, Helping Every Little Person (H.E.L.P.). We go to local preschools every other Friday afternoon and give positive mentoring to the kids through reading, doing crafts, playing outside etc. I’m currently the publicist for the club, so I oversee all the social media accounts as well as overall promotion for the club. I also work part-time in the Psychology Advising Office as a peer advisor.

HC: What kinds of things do you oversee or accomplish as a peer advisor?

AC: I describe the peer advisor position as half receptionist, half advisor. I can help students make appointments to see a full time advisor or do general filing/administrative work, but the most fulfilling part of the job is getting to actually advise the students. I feel like I can really help, because I’m a senior in the department. I’ve been through a lot of the same classes and experiences as the undergrad students who come in. A lot of times, students will come in with a problem or situation that we are able to help them through. It’s really nice to see a student walk out prepared and feeling much better about the upcoming semester and future.

HC: What made you want to double major? How do you balance everything?

AC: I’m double majoring in psychology and marketing. I love the subject of psychology and it really satisfies my curiosity and love for science. However, I do see myself in the business world. I chose marketing because although the two majors are in separate colleges (College of Arts and Sciences and College of Business) there is a lot of overlap between the two subjects. It definitely can become a challenge at times. Being in two different colleges does make things, such as registering/planning for classes, much harder or trying to stay within a reasonable graduation date, because I take so many classes. It can become difficult to balance it all, but I try to stay ahead of the game. I have to be organized and write down everything on my calendar or else I wouldn’t be able to keep up.

HC: I hear you go to Halloween horror nights almost every year. How was it this year?

AC: It was great! I’m such a baby when it comes to the houses, but my favorite house was Asylum in Wonderland. It was a 3D house and everything was neon, so it was so vivid and colorful. I loved the actual Halloween Horror Night events, but I was so excited to learn that Diagon Alley at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was open for the night. I’d never been and it’s amazing. The amount of detail and creativity that has gone into it is incredible and for a super-fan such as myself, I was literally like a little kid in a candy store. Pretty sure I did a little jig at one point.

HC: Do you have any costume ideas for what you’re going to be for Halloween?

AC: Oh I always have a good 10-20 Halloween costume ideas at any given point. Halloween is my favorite holiday, so I love putting together my costumes. This year I think I’ll be Poison Ivy from the DC Comics, but I’ve also always wanted to be Winifred Sanderson from Hocus Pocus or Mary Poppins. One year I also want to be the cast from Orange is the New Black with some friends.

Allie paragliding over the Alps in Interlaken, Switzerland.

HC: Do you have any exciting weekend plans coming up?

AC: I do! In two weeks my friends and I are driving up to Helen, Georgia for Oktoberfest! Helen is a re-creation of an alpine village, so all the shops and restaurants are Bavarian themed. It’s so charming and adorable and I’ve heard Oktoberfest is a lot of fun so we’re really excited. I’m really hoping for some amazing pretzels. Fingers crossed!

HC: What show are you currently binge-watching on Netflix?

AC: I’m in love with the show Grace and Frankie. Its about two women who find out their husbands have been having an affair for the last twenty years. The two of them then try to cope with the situation, but it’s actually so hilarious. I rarely laugh out loud when I watch TV, but they get me.

HC: If you could live anywhere in the world where would you live?

AC: That’s such a tough question for me! I moved a few times growing up, so I’m pretty comfortable moving and traveling. I think I would most like to live in Paris. I’ve been a few times before and it is such a beautiful city to me. I love that there is so much to do. I don’t think I could ever be bored. I don’t speak French, so I might want to get on that before I make any moves.

HC: Did you ever get the chance to study abroad?

AC: I did! I went to Florence, Italy for the Spring 2014 semester. I did not know a single person in the program. I did not speak Italian and I had never been to Florence, but as anyone who has studied abroad will tell you, I had the time of my life. I was able to live such an adventurous life and really challenge myself to adapt to new surroundings. I travelled to twenty cities and 8 different countries around Europe while I was there. I’m so appreciative of that experience.

HC: Tell us one fun fact about you?

AC: I’m double jointed in my fingers, so I’m able to move them in weird patterns or bend them unlike most people. It’s no great talent, but it can really freak people out.

Anna Iturra is a senior at Florida State University studying Media/Communication Studies. She loves reading celebrity autobiographies, eating out at local Tallahassee restaurants,  reading the latest edition of Glamour and watching movies for three dollars at the Movies 8 theater. She can't live without coffee, wine or Netflix (currently addicted to Lost). She aspires to be like Mindy Kaling and she hopes to one day live in London.
Her Campus at Florida State University.