Sofia sitting in a park on a red and white checkerboard blanket
Photo by Sofia Naranjo
Career

All Things Fashion With Sofia Naranjo

From statement pieces all the way down to accessories, Sofia Naranjo knows her fashion! This young college student dabbles in different fields of the fashion industry, including but not limited to media, journalism and editorial works. As Fashion Director of The Lexington Line and curator of her lifestyle social media blog @fleurirbysofia, Sofia has an undoubtedly action-packed life. Keep reading for an inside look at the life of the ever so stylish, Sofia Naranjo.

Her Campus (HC): When did you know that you were passionate about pursuing a career in fashion?

Sofia Naranjo (SN): At a young age I always gravitated towards clothing that was fashion-forward or even more mature for my age, because that was where the stylish clothes were at—not in the preteen section. As cliche as it sounds, the movie The Devil Wears Prada really struck something in me where I knew that I wanted to be a part of the fashion media world—besides the toxicity in the movie. Even watching documentaries like Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel, The September Issue, or In Vogue: The Editor’s Eye, made me feel like the fashion industry is where I belong. It became a part of me; it is my love.

Sofia sitting on green steps
Photo by Sofia Naranjo

HC: What are you currently majoring in and why?

SN: I recently switched my major from marketing to fashion media at LIM College. I realized that even though marketing in general is a huge umbrella, media, fashion journalism and editorial have always been a passion of mine and is my favorite part about the fashion industry. I feel that this is the right major for me to expand my knowledge and get to where I want to be in the fashion media world. 

HC: What made you decide to get involved with The Lexington Line?

SN: I was familiar with The Lexington Line even before I started LIM College. Since my career goal is to become a part of a huge high fashion magazine, I knew that joining this team will give me the experience I need to get where I want to be career-wise. In my first semester as a freshman, my number one goal was to join this club. The Lexington Line is a very popular club at LIM College, so at the time I felt that the chances of me joining this club and filling in an open position were slim. But, here I am today in my fourth semester with The Lexington Line in my new position as Fashion Director. It feels more than just a club; the work we do is so professional and everyone on the team is so talented and takes their position seriously. The Lexington Line is one of the main things I am grateful for.

HC: Is living in New York beneficial to your career?

SN: Living in New York and going to school here was such a big dream of mine and where I mostly saw myself pursuing my fashion career. Although you can get your foot in the fashion industry from anywhere, New York will always be one of the fashion capitals of the world. New York also has so many internships and opportunities you can find when it comes to the fashion industry. I find that the countless opportunities in New York are one of the strong reasons why it is so beneficial. Even though there is a lot of competition and it can be tough in New York City, my experiences so far have helped me grow way beyond what I thought I would, and I’m proud of where I’m at.

Sofia sitting on Brooklyn Bridge
Photo by Sofia Naranjo

HC: What brands/companies do you feel align with your values the most?

SN: A company I love and is my goal to work for is Harper’s Bazaar; I find Harper’s Bazaar has a different artistic approach and the magazine is for the true fashion lovers. Not only do they have a deep history in fashion, but I also admire how the 153-year-old company has evolved and now has the first Editor-in-Chief who is a woman of color, Samira Nasr. Talking more about publications, another company that I adore is Interview Magazine. Interview Magazine is different, funky and artistically real, they go over so many topics openly with many unique and interesting reads.

HC: Why do you want to work in fashion?

SN: I want to work in fashion because I love to watch and be a part of the hard work that goes into all elements of the fashion industry. Looking at how photoshoots and the concepts behind them are created for the beautiful content in fashion magazines, or the artistry and minds that go into creating a collection is all so awe-inspiring to me every time.

Sofia leaned forward with hand on her chin in a red jacket
Photo by Sofia Naranjo
HC: In addition to your interests in fashion, you also started a social media lifestyle blog. What motivated you to start your Instagram @fleurirbysofia

SN: Instagram can bring a lot of pressure and I wanted to be free on social media and post what I love and have fun with it. I had the idea for the blog for months until I figured out the name for it: Fleurir—which means to flourish, to bloom—and then I got to work. Even though the blog is in its early days, I am so happy with it so far. I am currently finishing up the website that should be coming out soon. I wanted the blog to be like a personal diary, sharing my interests in fashion, my daily life, community and wellness—a melting pot of content. I also wanted to create a community where I can inspire others who share the same interests as me. Over the past few months, I started to dive into the wellness community when it comes to meditating, mindfulness, interesting reads, foods, gratitude, awareness and self-love. I wanted to share my journey with wellness and spirituality and the origins that they come from. Another account, @wellnesswithsoph, really inspired and motivated me to create this account as well; she posts about her life and wellness in such a fun and open way, and it feels like a community. I am very excited to see where @fleurirbysofia goes.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!

Yumarlis, Yumi for short, is a First-Generation college student from Miami, FL majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media at Florida State University. Aside from writing for Her Campus, you can find Yumi studying at the library or watching Netflix. There's no in-between.