Alexis Bass: Rho Gam to the Rescue!

Name: Alexis Bass

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Hometown: Destin, Florida

Relationship Status: (Happily) Taken

Major: Media & Communications

Courtesy of Alexis Bass

HC (Her Campus): What made you decide to become a Rho Gamma?

AB (Alexis Bass): Personally my recruitment experience wasn’t bad, but I felt on my own most of the time. I was very independent during the process. In all, I just didn’t want the women going through recruitment to experience the same thing. Obviously, I’m extremely passionate about my chapter, but I honestly love Panhellenic as a whole and I wanted to help other woman find their home and where they truly belong.

HC: What was your favorite experience as a Rho Gamma?

AB:  Probably giving the girls their bids because it sets the tone for the rest of their college experience! It honestly is the best part of recruitment! I literally can’t tell you how happy all of the Rho Gamma’s were for y’all when you guys got your bids. I mean, I obviously was happy because I cried!

HC: Have you taken on any other leadership positions within your sorority?

AB: I am definitely working on it! Currently, I am team leader for Relay for Life and I also help in the recruitment process for my sorority!

HC: Talk to me about Relay for Life and why it is important to you.

AB: I did relay for the first time last spring and I was one of our two captains. I decided to do it because my mom was re-diagnosed with cancer around last summer. It had severely affected my family before that too. She went 15 years without cancer and then out of nowhere it came back. So, because of that I am extremely passionate about Relay for Life. I don’t want other people and families to be affected by this or go through what I had to because I know personally how hard it can be.

HC: What kind of impact has your sorority had on you?

AB: It’s definitely changed me for the better! I’ve gained so much because of it, like becoming a leader and being confident. I wouldn’t be who I am today without my chapter. As a freshman, I felt like I was just a member of my sorority but now it’s a part of my heart and I can’t imagine my life without it. If I woke up tomorrow and didn’t have Kappa, I wouldn’t know what to do. However, I genuinely love all seventeen chapters on this campus and I want everyone to believe that everything happens for a reason and to have a little faith in the recruitment process!

Courtesy: Alexis Bass

HC: What are some of your favorite things to do around campus?

AB: I love to attend Kappa bible study and I want to start attending doulos, which is basically a Panhellenic bible study. It’s separated between guys and girls and they each meet once a week on Tuesdays.

HC: Do you have anything planned for after FSU?

AB: Hopefully! My dream job is to work for the Walt Disney Company; I want to work within their communications or advertising department. I might go to grad school but I haven’t decided yet! I could graduate within next year so I haven’t officially made a decision. Thinking about it is really overwhelming!

HC: You’ve been granted one wish, what would it be?

AB: This is going to sound so cheesy, but it would be world peace. There is so much negativity and hatred in the world and it’s such a sad thing. I honestly want people to be content, happy and for everybody to love one another.

HC: That is so sweet! Any advice for the freshman on campus?

AB: Oh, definitely! The first one would be to get involved! Don’t be afraid to be yourself, I know it’s hard to figure yourself out when you’re in college but don’t let other people influence you with their opinions. Make sure to live your values and stay true to yourself!

HC: Okay, last but not least. After going through recruitment, you’ve inspired me to become a Rho Gamma! Do you have any advice to those looking to apply for the Rho Gamma position?

AB: Aww, you’re going to make me cry! I would say genuinely be yourself and be open to every opportunity because whether you’re a counselor or not every opportunity you have changes you for the better. When I look back before I was a counselor, I can see what a different person I am. When you go through the interview they want to see the true you, your PNMs (Potential New Members) want to see the true you. Be authentic in everything you do and especially be confident! Have confidence in the sense that you shouldn’t be afraid of what you want to do.

Student at Florida State. Lover of fashion and everything sarcastic. Aspiring magazine editor.
Her Campus at Florida State University.