Alex Pollack and FSU’s National Magnet Lab

Name: Alex Pollack

Year: Senior

Hometown: West Palm Beach, FL

Major: Computational Math and Chemistry

Relationship Status: Taken

Her Campus (HC): Did you always know you wanted to be a math and chemistry major?

Alex Pollack (AP): Yes, I have been interested in atoms since the third grade. Math just kind of came along with that.

HC: What do you like most about this field?

AP: It’s so interesting to me learning about how everything works; understanding how the world is made.

HC: I know you are involved with the National Magnet Lab here at FSU. Can you tell me a little bit about that?

AP: Sure. I am an Undergraduate User Scientist which involves day-to-day research from setting up different samples, to running magnets for tests, to analyzing data. I am also an Instrumental Tech which involves repairing magnets; basically, like a mechanic.

Courtesy: Alex Pollack 

HC: Wow, so cool. So, what exactly is the National Magnet Lab, for those who don’t know?

AP: The National Magnet Lab is one of the biggest research-based labs in the country. It runs through FSU, UF, and the Los Alamos Lab in New Mexico. It researches magnetic-based technologies such as MRI techniques for biomedical processes and works to innovate magnetic technology for computers.

HC: That’s amazing. Aside from its obvious contributions, how does this lab benefit FSU’s reputation as a university?

AP: The National Magnet Lab brings a lot of recognition to the school. FSU is not really known as a science school, but because people around the country know about the renowned Magnet lab, it makes FSU stand out more in the science world.

HC: I didn’t even know about the Magnet Lab before this, so it’s great to learn about all of the amazing resources FSU has to offer its students. Do you plan to continue doing research work when you graduate?

AP: I want to work in a disciplinary area of math called Data Science, which is basically like data analytics. These days, every company needs someone to sort through and make sense of its online numbers, like search results or product sales.

HC: I am sure you would be great at that. Big companies like Google and Amazon probably have an insane amount of numbers, though. Are you up for the challenge?

AP: Yes, definitely. Working in a lab I deal with a lot of numbers so I think using these skills at a big company would be a good fit for me. Those are the companies that make Data Science such a big thing in the first place.

HC: Do you have any advice for any incoming chemistry majors?

AP: Reaching out to professors and other important people to see what you are interested in is the best advice I could give. That’s what I did; I reached out to Dr. Kroto before my freshman year. I’m also involved with Alpha Chi Sigma, a chemistry professional fraternity which I recommend for not just chemistry majors, but anyone who is interested in the field.

HC: Who is Dr. Kroto?

AP: He was one of my bosses in the Magnet Lab. He used to teach here. He died, but he was a chemist. He won a Nobel Prize in 1996.

HC: I’m so sorry for your loss. And wow! FSU truly does breed greatness.

AP: Thank you, and yeah, he was really amazing.

HC: Alex, thank you so much for your time.

AP: No problem, can’t wait to see the article!

Her Campus at Florida State University.