Wide shot of Dua Lipa in a convertible with the moon in the upper left background
Hugo Comte

Album Review: “Future Nostalgia” by Dua Lipa

Ever since Dua Lipa burst onto the pop scene in 2017 with her hit song “New Rules,” the English-born singer has garnered multiple accolades, including a 2019 Grammy for Best New Artist. Her debut album is the fourth most-streamed album on Spotify, ever. So, it goes without saying that her newest release, Future Nostalgia, was highly anticipated by critics and fans alike.

Lipa says her new album’s sound is inspired by the artists she listened to as a teen, such as Madonna, Gwen Stefani, Blondie and Outkast. She calls it a “nostalgic” pop record that “feels like a dancercise class.” In an interview with Metro, Lipa stated, “What I wanted to do with this album was to break out of my comfort zone and challenge myself to make music that felt like it could sit alongside some of my favorite classic pop songs, whilst still feeling fresh and uniquely mine.”Future Nostalgia’s March 27 release was rather unexpected since the album was leaked in its entirety just two weeks before its original scheduled release date of April 3.

Closeup of Dua Lipa in a pink shirt in a convertible (Future Nostalgia album cover)
Hugo Comte

For this track-by-track review, I listened to Future Nostalgia in its entirely a few times, and I’ll be providing my thoughts on each song and giving it a personal rating on a scale of 1-10. Let’s get jamming!

Track 1: “Future Nostalgia”

The opening track gets the album off to a funky start! This disco-inspired track features some serious girl power lyrics such as “I know you ain’t used to a female alpha” and “I can’t teach a man how to wear his pants.” While it’s definitely a danceable track, it feels a little clunky, and her speak-singing verses are a touch awkward. Rating: 6.5/10

Track 2: “Don’t Start Now”

“Did a full 180…” This lead single blew up on Tik Tok, and for good reason! It’s irresistibly catchy, with a rocking bassline and soaring string section. For all the ladies out there who’ve gotten over a toxic ex (or are still working on it – we don’t judge), this is the perfect “look at me now” anthem. My only thing is that it’s a little repetitive. Rating: 8.5/10

Track 3: “Cool”

I’ll admit, I wasn’t a huge fan of this song when I first heard it, but it grew on me after a few listens. The verses are beautiful, but the chorus is anticlimactic in comparison. The standout feature of this track to me is the instrumentals, particularly the synth. It’s definitely a song you can vibe to, but it lacks some substance. Rating: 7/10

Side shot of Dua Lipa with her feet up in a convertible car
Hugo Comte

Track 4: “Physical”

Who’s ready for some aerobics? This track is flirty, high-energy and definitely 80’s-inspired. Dua sings about a transcendent new relationship: “Common love isn’t for us / We created something phenomenal / Don’t you agree?” Perfectly combining old and new musical influences, she’s managed to create a song you just can’t help but dance to. Rating: 9.5/10

Track 5: “Levitating”

Most people wouldn’t think a Daft Punk song belongs in an Austin Powers movie, but Dua might just change your mind with this track. The space-themed lyrics tell the story of a love that feels otherworldly. The backing vocals add a vintage Star Trek feel, and the Blondie-inspired rap during the bridge adds another layer of fun. Rating: 9/10

Track 6: “Pretty Please”

After the workout the first five songs have given us, this subdued, laidback track catches your attention. Dua sings about not wanting to lose her cool in a new relationship, but as the energy ramps up, you feel her willpower slowly fade. The way she drags down the tempo just for a moment right after singing, “Could you help me slow it down?” before kicking it back into gear for the chorus is genius! Rating: 8/10

Track 7: “Hallucinate”

Hey Dua, Madonna and Gaga called – they wanna know if they can join the party! “This one’s my festival song,” said Lipa in an interview with Apple Music. “I knew there was no way I could do a festival without this song.” This track gives off strong early-2000’s house vibes, and Dua’s voice fades in and out like she’s in a dream. However, as a piece of the album puzzle, it doesn’t quite seem to fit in with the others. Rating: 8/10

Hugo Comte

Track 8: “Love Again”

This track starts off with a gorgeous orchestral intro and a captivating sample from White Town’s 1997 hit song “Your Woman” before exploding into a high-powered dance tune. Dua sings some powerful lyrics about being vulnerable in love and letting go of the fear of getting hurt. I can definitely groove to this one, but for me, something about the production doesn’t quite fit with her vocals. Rating: 7.5/10

Track 9: “Break My Heart”

We know her, we love her! This track is giving me ALL the 70’s and 80’s cusp energy. With a strong driving beat, funky synth and another fab string section, this song is a perfect recipe for a dance party. If I had to say one thing, it would be that the lyrics are just a tad corny. Rating: 9.5/10

Track 10: “Good In Bed”

This one is…interesting. Much like “Cool,” it had to grow on me before I started liking it. Her performance in this one is sassy and playful, almost like she’s playing a character. However, the lyrics feel too on-the-nose, and the unconventional chorus melody can rub you the wrong way. It’s a fun song overall, but it’s definitely the most underwhelming track on the album. Rating: 6.5/10

Track 11: “Boys Will Be Boys”

This emotional track is an unexpected ending to such a high-energy album. With lyrics that can sometimes come off as cringy, Dua sings about the unspoken contract you sign as a woman; carrying your keys between your knuckles, being wary around large groups of men and hiding your figure to avoid being catcalled. The backing vocals, which sound like a group of younger girls, breathe life into the chorus and bring it up to another level. This song was my instant favorite on my first listen, but the production is missing a little something-something. Rating: 9/10

Back cover of Dua Lipa\'s Future Nostalgia album
Hugo Comte

Overall Thoughts

I haven’t listened to Dua Lipa’s first album, so I had no idea what to expect from Future Nostalgia. Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised! This album is a ton of fun and surprisingly emotional, exploring themes of female empowerment and the joys of a new relationship. I hope it gets at least one nomination at the 2020 Grammys, if not more!

OVERALL RATING: 8/10

MY MUST-LISTEN TRACKS: Physical, Levitating, Boys Will Be Boys

All photos courtesy of Hugo Comte.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Grace Hayes is a senior Choral Music Education major at Florida State University. She hails from Chicago, IL and mentions it at least once in every conversation. She loves cats, writing, drawing, and spreading the good word about Culver's cheese curds to her out-of-touch Florida friends.
Her Campus at Florida State University.