AATCC President Ashley Lamb Talks Fashion, Runway Shows and More

Name: Ashley Lamb

Year: Senior

Major: Retail Merchandising and Product Development

Hometown: Clearwater, FL

Courtesy: Ashley Lamb

The American Association of Textile Chemists and Colorists at FSU addresses the interests of students related to the textile product development, quality assurance and the fashion industry overall. The student organization provides opportunities for field trips to local retailers/production facilities, guests speakers at general body meetings and the opportunity to aid in the planning of an on-campus fashion show each semester.

Her Campus (HC): As the President of AATCC, I’m guessing you help plan the on-campus fashion shows that happen each semester. Can you tell us more about them?

Ashley Lamb (AL): Our theme for the show from the past spring was called “Decades of Decadence” so we went through each decade – 1900 through modern day. My role as a fashion show coordinator is overseeing a team of about 75, which includes the models because there’s about 30-40 models and then it takes another 30-40 team members to help out. 

Courtesy: Ashley Lamb

HC: And any plans for this semester’s fashion show?

AL: The fashion show in December will be called “The Haute Holiday Fashion Show.” We had the first “Haute Holiday show” last December so this will be our second. The name of the show means “Haute Couture,” which is really high fashion so it’s kind of like a play on words. The first section of the show is called “Snow Bunny,” which is basically oversized sweaters and a lot of knits and scarves to open up the show with a wintery feel. There’s also going to be a flannel section, a faux-fur section, monochromatic, suede or velvet, leather, formal evening wear, and then we end it with the holiday décor section and this is where students have the opportunity to make the outfits.

HC: That sounds so exciting!

AL: It’s really neat! One student last December made stuff that was inspired from holiday decorations and she made a dress that lit up. Another was made out of tinsel so we’re letting them do that again this semester.

Courtesy: Ashley Lamb

HC: What is your role for this upcoming show? Any other activities you’re involved in?

AL: This semester I’m the Assistant Fashion Show Coordinator because I’m teaching the future president how to do it. I’m also a brand rep for Kohl’s because I interned for them this past summer and I got offered the MIT position, which Manager in Training to become Assistant Store Manager. Now this semester I’m a brand rep on campus, which basically will require having three events per semester promoting Kohl’s and the fashion show will be one of our events so they will be sponsoring.

HC: What are some of your favorite stores?

AL: I really like Kohl’s, maybe it’s just because I work there. I’m a little biased, but I really like their dresses. I also really like American Eagle because there’s a lot of stuff that’s not branded. All my jeans and a lot of my t-shirts are from there.

HC: What are your goals? Do you want to pursue a career in fashion in the future?

AL: I love fashion, but I’m more passionate about retail and the business analytical side of the industry. I think I’d want to go high-up within a company kind of managing either vendor relations so I would be in the product development division or I’d like to be the one communicating between the brand and the outsourcing. Even marketing or maybe recruiting, I just basically want to run a company.

Courtesy: Ashley Lamb

The “Haute Holiday Fashion Show” will take place on December 2nd so make sure to come out and support! To find out more about AATTC follow them on Facebook and Instagram.

Anacarla is currently attending her last year at Florida State. Can't live without coffee and her dog. You can follow her on Twitter at @anacarlasanchez
Editor-in-Chief, Her Campus FSU // Follow me @rachelepstein_