Culture > News

A24 is Auctioning Iconic Props from Their Films to Benefit NYC Charities

If like me, you’ve ever fantasized about sitting in a field wearing a gown made entirely of flowers watching your ex-boyfriend burn alive from inside a bear carcass, boy, do I have some news for you! A24, the indie film production and distribution company known for movies like MidsommarLady BirdUncut Gems and HBO’s Euphoria is auctioning off some of its iconic props, like the aforementioned flower dress once worn by Florence Pugh. Based in New York, a city hit particularly hard by COVID-19, A24 wants to give back to its home and plans to give all proceeds from the auction to New York-based charities.

In an official statement, A24 said, “As a company founded and based in New York City, A24 wants to give back to the city as it weathers this crisis and begins to rebuild. 100% of each auction’s proceeds will be donated to one of four charities helping New York City’s hardest-hit communities and frontline workers: FDNY Foundation; Food Bank For NYC; NYC Health + Hospitals; and Queens Community House.” Indie film fans have a chance to “own a piece of film history” while also benefiting a worthy cause.

A24 has planned four separate auction groups. The first, which they’ve named “A24 Attic Auction,” opened on April 22 and will benefit NYC Health + Hospitals. This group includes six items from Eighth Grade, Euphoria, Mid 90s and Hereditary. For any Euphoria fans, Rue’s infamous red hoodie is up for grabs, with the current bid exceeding $6,000. According to A24, the hoodie has holes cut into the armpits, which were made by the costume department to accommodate a harness worn by Zendaya during a stunt sequence in the show’s season one finale. You can also bid on the time capsule created by Elsie Fisher’s character in Eighth Grade, a vintage-style skateboard ridden in Mid90s or the doormats from Hereditary. Bidding on these items ends May 8.

The next three groups, which will open in the coming weeks, feature items from Midsommar, Uncut Gems and The Lighthouse. Opening on April 27, the “Midsommar Hårga Collectibles” group features ten items from Ari Aster’s horror flick, including the bearskin mask and iconic sacrificial May Queen gown. All proceeds go to the FDNY Foundation and will “directly support FDNY members and their families who are suffering from this pandemic.”

The third group, “Gems From Gems,” supports the Queens Community House. When this auction opens on May 4, fans will have the option to bid on items like the racecar bed, Kevin Garnett’s Celtics jersey and an aggressively 80s bat mitzvah dress worn by Idina Menzel. Queens Community House “is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse neighborhoods of Queens.”

The final auction opens on May 11 and will benefit Food Bank for NYC. Named “Let There Be Light Auction,” this group features four items from Robert Eggers’ The Lighthouse, which stars Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe as 19th-century lighthouse keepers. Food Bank for NYC is currently “providing emergency food to vulnerable New Yorkers who may be quarantined, along with those impacted by the economic downturn.”

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m considering taking out a small loan to bid on the bedazzled Furby necklace. You can find the auctions on the official A24 auctions website. However, if you don’t have $5,000 lying around to place a bid, consider donating on your own either to any of these New York charities or to any local charities you know of that will benefit those affected by the pandemic.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Brittany is a senior at FSU double-majoring in Creative Writing and Media Communication Studies. She loves movies, iced coffee, and a good meme, and hopes to become a screenwriter after graduation.
Her Campus at Florida State University.