Life > Academics

A Quest of Her Own: A Classical Archeology Major’s Journey

I sat down with a student who chose her course of study based on the fandom she was—is—into and discussed how she wants to share this interest with other students by forming a club!

Her Campus (HC): So, tell me a little bit about yourself. 

Jamie Fontana (JF): Hi! I’m Jamie Fontana, and this is my third year at Florida State University (FSU). I’m currently a junior majoring in Classical Archeology with minors in Anthropology and Italian. 

Pompeii ruins
Original photo by Alice Grenier

HC: That’s so cool. I didn’t even realize you could major in archeology. What made you choose Classical Archeology? 

JF: When I was five years old, I went to Italy with my family. I don’t really remember much from that trip, of course, but what I do remember was Pompeii, and it has stuck with me ever since.  

HC: I actually went to Italy this summer and I remember being amazed by how something so old could still exist! I can imagine being even more awestruck if I had witnessed Pompeii and other significant structures in Italy like the Colosseum at such a young age.  

JF: Yes, but every time I go, I’m still just as in love as the first time. I also grew up reading the Percy Jackson book series by Rick Riordon, and that also inspires me in my studies. I’ve always been interested in ancient Greek and Roman history, so majoring in Classical Archeology seemed perfect for me. I have absolutely loved every class I’ve taken for it so far!  

HC: I definitely agree. It doesn’t even feel like work when you’re taking classes in a field you’re genuinely interested in. What opportunities has your major given you? 

JF: This past summer, I actually had the amazing opportunity as a Rodney Reeves Scholar to help curate an exhibit at the FSU Study Center in Florence, Italy, and study abroad there as well.  

HC: That’s amazing that you got that experience so early in your career! Tell me more. 

JF: The exhibit was called “Coins, Pots, and a Castle at Cetamura del Chianti.” It consisted of three-dimensional reconstructions of artifacts found at the FSU archeology site. This was such an amazing experience, and I’m so thankful to Dr. de Grummond, Rodney Reeves and the other scholar Nina Perdomo for all their help with it as well. 

HC: Wow! What’re you doing now in Tallahassee? 

JF: Now, I’m really looking forward to getting the FSU Archeology Club started back up again. Because of COVID-19, it has been challenging to do many things in person, but I think this will be a wonderful way to get more involved in the archeology community. I think it will also help other archeology and art history majors meet each other, especially after having so many online classes.

HC: That sounds really interesting. What do you want to do with the club? 

JF: We look forward to having events, lectures with guest speakers and bringing together the archaeology community at Florida State! 

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, TwitterTikTokYouTube and Pinterest! 

Alice Grenier is a second year english literature student at Florida State University. She is from Orlando, Florida and aspires to become a lawyer. @alice_grenier on instagram