Starbucks
Starbucks
Hunter Honeg / Spoon
Culture > News

Starbucks Under Scrutiny for Firing Union Workers

Over the past year, a large number of Starbucks workers have agreed to sign worker’s union petitions because they feel that their voices are not heard. Additionally, many workers are calling for higher pay and better maternity and paternity leave. In recent weeks, Starbucks has been facing controversy for firing several employees that supported the long-standing Starbucks Workers United Union.

In her three years working at Starbucks, shift supervisor Hannah Whitbeck never received any write-ups, nor had she been late to work once (without good reason). Whitbeck believed she was in good standing with the store, until just a few days ago she was fired from her Starbucks in Michigan. According to Whitbeck, this is because of her efforts to unionize her store. Whitbeck was on the union organizing committee at her Starbucks and was open with her manager about her involvement in the union. She even wore a pro-union button to work. 

Whitbeck is one of several union organizers to be fired this week, one of at least four since Howard Schultz became interim CEO of Starbucks after former CEO Kevin Johnson retired. Schultz has spoken out about his view on unions, stating that companies such as Starbucks are being “assaulted” by unions. Within the same interview, Schultz went on to say that he’s “not anti-union” but “pro-Starbucks.”

Starbucks has repeatedly denied any retaliation against pro-union workers. However, the National Labor Relations Board determined that Starbucks had retaliated against union organizers Laila Dalton and Alyssa Sanchez at a Starbucks in Arizona by firing them. The National Labor Relations Board also released findings which show that Starbucks illegally fired seven pro-union workers in Tennessee in February.

At least 88 unfair labor practice charges have been filed against Starbucks since September, according to National Labor Relations Board records. In recent weeks, Starbucks has received several more unfair labor practice charges. On Monday, 20-year-old Sharon Gilman was fired from her store in North Carolina for breaking a sink, though Gilman believes she was fired for her involvement in the Starbucks union and for speaking to the press about the subject. Gilman was fired just days before people at her Starbucks were expected to vote on whether or not the store should unionize. Gilman’s store location in North Carolina is one of more than 200 that have filed for a National Labor Relations Board election since a Starbucks store in Buffalo was the first to vote to unionize back in December.

In the history of the company, Starbucks has always been a notably generous employer. The job comes with great benefits and ample opportunities for pay raises. Schultz has stated in interviews that Starbucks wants what’s best for its employees. It’s unclear whether the efforts of Starbucks union supporters will result in any changes. The future of Starbucks workers remains uncertain for now as Starbucks corporate has continued to push back hard against workers choosing to support the unionization of the global coffee company. It’s going to take a little more than luck for Starbucks employees to run a smooth and successful union.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

Abby is a third-year at Florida State majoring in International Relations and minoring in Underwater Crime Scene Investigation. When she isn't studying or writing, you can find her hiking, thrifting, watching movies, or reading a good book.