I don’t know about you, but it has been one long semester. It feels as if there has been no time to truly get into the holiday spirit. As college students, money can be tight, and downtime is slim, especially during the last couple of weeks leading up to finals. As crazy as this may sound, it’s okay to slow down and take a break from the monotony of studying and cramming. We mustn’t burn ourselves out and leave for winter break feeling miserable and drained. Nevertheless, I propose to you eight simple ways to get into the holiday spirit and thoroughly enjoy this season of love, joy and transformation! 

1. Alexa, play my Christmas playlist IMMEDIATELY! 

Spotify
Unsplash

Christmas songs never fail to make me feel nostalgic about my childhood and get me excited for the holiday season. I’m one of those people that will listen to The Polar Express song—you know what I’m talking about—or the skinny legend, Mariah Carey, at any time of the year with no shame. There’s a multitude of playlists, whether you use streaming services such as Apple Music, Tidal or Spotify. Michael Bublé’s Christmas album and any classic holiday tune are my go-to! 

2. Fuzzy socks and eggnog secured 

Person Wearing Gray and White Socks Near Brown Fireplace
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels
There’s nothing like fuzzy socks and a mug in hand. Getting into your most comfy pajamas and sipping eggnog is a simple yet effective way to get into the holiday spirit! Even if you aren’t an eggnog fan, you can always make some hot cocoa and still live your best life. 

3.  Holiday movie binge 

Projector by Alex Litvin
Alex Litvin
Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas is in full swing, and if you haven’t started watching, there are plenty of movies to still be seen. My favorite holiday movies include titles such as How the Grinch Stole ChristmasElf and of course, The Polar Express. Whether you like the classics, animations or newly made films, there are so many to choose from that will spark that holiday spirit! 

4. Give back to your community 

It’s important that we partake in community service during the holiday season because some people are not as fortunate and do not look forward to anything for the holiday season. I suggest you get involved through a toy drive for children, which can include toys, coloring books, and literature. You could also volunteer at a soup kitchen or read holiday stories at your local children’s library. Think about your holiday memories as a child; every child deserves to feel the magic of the holiday spirit.   

5. This is your space. This is your area, so decorate it!  

Laura Mueller
Two words: affordable décor. Ross, T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, Dollar Tree, Walmart and other stores sell holiday decorations at low prices that allow us college students to ball out on a budget! Pinterest has an abundance of DIY projects or decoration ideas that can also be used as inspiration. Even if it’s something simple like putting up holiday stockings for you and your roomie, it’s an easy and effective way to bring more holiday joy into your space.  

6. Winter nights and holiday lights 

Pexels
Ever since I was a kid, going to look at light shows or decorating my house with lights was something I consistently looked forward to. There are places in almost every city that host light shows for you to drive or walk through. If you’re staying local this break, Tallahassee has one at Dorothy B. Oven Park. It’s also a great excuse for a photo op!

7. Photo shoot with your pals 

camera on desk
Photo by NeONBRAND on Unsplash
Speaking of a photo op… Getting together with some friends to do a holiday-themed photo shoot is super fun! You can get dressed up, be festive and even involve your pets! My roommates and I developed a Christmas card last year and sent it to our loved ones, which was fun and a wonderful way to capture a college memory.  

8. Enjoying me-time 

Woman shaving her legs in the bathtub
Photo by cottonbro from Pexels
Although the holiday season is about family and pouring love and compassion into others, it’s crucial to also spend some time focusing on yourself, your wellbeing and doing mental check-ins. Whatever your self-care routine or the one you seek to implement looks like, prioritizing this into your schedule is a lot easier now that the semester is over!  

It’s the little things that go a long way during the holiday season, trust me.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on InstagramTwitter and Pinterest!

Lauren is a Florida State University alumna with two degrees in Marketing and Management Information Systems. Prior to working as a Managing Editor for Her Campus at FSU, she was a Content Editor and Staff Writer for her chapter. She is a first-generation college graduate from Fort Lauderdale, FL, pursuing a career in Marketing. Her interests include music, fashion, research, sustainability, film, literature and spirituality. Be sure to check out Lauren's articles and social links!
Her Campus at Florida State University.