8 Questions You’re Tired of Hearing at Thanksgiving Dinner, as Told by New Girl

Thanksgiving is now upon on us and we’re going to be thrown into those lovely, awkward conversations our families have been saving up for us all year. Time to start pumping yourself up and practicing your answers!

1. Do you have a boyfriend?

The holiday season is when everyone and their mother thinks it’s their own personal mission to pry into your private matters. They will interrogate you about your love life, or lack thereof, and you better have a good reason for not having a boo this cuffing season. You might need to be more creative to navigate this question if you’re still one foot in and one foot out of the closet. Difficult, but do-able!

2. What are you studying?

It’s a perfectly innocent question. People are genuinely curious about the degree you’ve been working your butt off for. I get it! All great and dandy until 15 other people ask that same question and you’ve now found yourself sounding like a broken record. You unenthusiastically repeat your major to every person who strikes up a conversation with you and end up hiding from anyone else who could even potentially ask by the end of the night.

3. Do you honestly think you’re going to make any money with that?

No, Karen, we’ve just spent years of our lives taking classes and studying and stressing ourselves out for no reason. Yes, we know we should’ve gone pre-med or pre-law. Yes, we know that’s where the money is, Karen, but we’re a little late for that, huh. At this point, we’re just going to go for that diploma and aim to pay for our rent like every other broke millennial! Thanks for that though! 

4. What are you doing after graduation?

Thanksgiving break is supposed to be your small breather before finals, but even when you’re home, you can’t seem to escape the anxiety school brings because no one will let you forget about it. Are you going to grad school? If you’re not, what are you going to do? Do you have a job lined up? An internship? Are you going to move back home? ENOUGH! Let us enjoy this damn pumpkin pie without being bombarded about our daunting futures!

5. Why can’t you acknowledge any of the good Trump has done?

Politics are the absolute worst topic to discuss at dinner especially if you have to take on any opposition. Sometimes you have to get into those arguments and have it out, but since it’s the holidays, you might just want to try and keep the peace. Best way to do that? Avoid, avoid, avoid the subject. If you know where they stand, have had this conversation with them already and know they won’t change, there’s no point in having a screaming match over the turkey.

6. FSU’s football team’s been doing pretty bad, huh?

The college town in which we reside lives, breathes and eats FSU football. Streets get closed down for game days. Every bar and restaurant in town is lined with plasma screens just to profit off of the hordes of people who come to have viewing parties. Believe you me, when they don’t do well, everyone knows. Let’s try to not rub it in our faces.

7. When are you getting married?

We’re students with all sorts of responsibilities: classes, homework, jobs, extracurriculars. We’re trying to build lives for ourselves and set ourselves up for a successful career. Engagement isn’t the main priority right now. Also, we’re young and we just want to have fun! We’ll get there when we get there.

8. At your age, I already had a kid. When are you going to start poppin’ out those babies?

JK! But let’s reserve these questions for like…hm…NEVER! There are people our age having kids and that’s fine! Some of us aren’t ready for families and that’s fine too! Others don’t even want kids and that’s a-okay! Times are different! So, stop asking, okay?

Good luck to you, fellow collegiettes! May you be granted patience that lasts you all Thanksgiving break!

All gifs courtesy Giphy.com

Nicole Knight is a Junior at Florida State University. She's majoring in Editing, Writing and Media with a minor in Communications. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.