Style

8 Pop Culture Costume Inspirations for This Halloween!

I know that October doesn’t start until next week, but we cannot just pretend that we haven’t been Google searching Halloween costumes for a month already. Many of us at least have an idea of the theme we’re aiming for, whether that be something funny, scary or sexy. In 2019 alone, we have been given so many new seasons of shows, celebrity news and memes that we could use to dress up as. I have compiled a list of pop-culture events from 2019 that just might inspire this year’s Halloween costumes. 

1. Euphoria

Courtesy: Cosmopolitan

I figured I would start with, quite possibly, what will be the most popular costume choices this year. Euphoria, if you don’t know, is a Drake-produced HBO series featuring a ton of iconic makeup looks and outfits. The picture shown was taken while the cast was filming their Halloween episode. Whether you decide you want to have your whole squad dress up as the cast or just be an individual character, your costume is bound to be recognized and praised by those who have watched the show. Costume designer Heidi Bivens knew exactly what she was doing when creating the looks in Euphoriaand we all just want to learn from her. 

2. Stranger Things

Courtesy: Clear Lens

This option could be literally any character, or group, from the show Stranger Things. These 80s inspired looks were made for anyone and everyone who fell in love with the style from that era. You could choose to be any of Eleven’s outfit changes from the most recent season, season three, or throw it back to season one with her pink dress and a box of Eggos. So many of the characters had a partner in season 3 so if you have a friend or significant other, this show would be the perfect idea for a couple’s costume. Any two could go as Mike and Eleven, Dustin and Suzie, Jonathan and Nancy, Steve and Robin or Max and Lucas. 

3. “Old Town Road”- Lil Nas X

Courtesy: 730

Okay, hear me out. I know this could be a little bit corny, but Lil Nas X and Billie Ray Cyrus were #1 on the charts for weeks upon weeks. “Old Town Road” just gives us a reason to dress up like we’re all cowboys/girls and walk around singing a song that everyone knows the words to. Throw on a big hat and some boots and carry around a speaker with the song playing all night and I’m sure people will understand exactly what you were going for.

4. Charlies Angels (Inspired by Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Ray)

Courtesy: ET

Have a pair of old wings from the past few years you went out dressed as an angel? Well pull them out again this year, spray paint them black and find two more friends to match you. Ariana Grande, Lana Del Rey and Miley Cyrus just gave all of the last-minute costume planners the perfect group opportunity. Wear an all-black outfit with some knee-high boots and your black wings and call yourself one of Charlies Angels.

5. “Hot Girl Summer”- Meg Thee Stallion 

Courtesy: Zimbio

It’s absolutely a #HotGirlHalloween. Meg the Stallion rose into fame this summer with her song, “Hot Girl Summer”,  preaching women empowerment and being unforgivingly yourself. This Halloween if you just want to be confident in a bomb-a*s outfit then go ahead and tell everyone that you are having a Hot Girl Halloween and you’re doing it for Megan. Flaunt what you’ve got because we are definitely not going to stop you. 

6. The VSCO Girl Meme

Courtesy: NBC News

Want an excuse to wear a giant t-shirt and some Birkenstocks this Halloween? Lucky you because the VSCO girl trend has gone viral on apps like Youtube and Tik Tok. According to Urban Dictionary, a VSCO girl “wears oversized t-shirts or sweatshirt with Nike shorts. Has Vans, Crocs, Birks, and wears a shell necklace. She also wears tube tops and Jean shorts. She always has a hydroflask. She can’t leave home without a scrunchie and her favorite car is a jeep.” So basically, if you are looking for an outfit that is comfortable and you most likely have half the items somewhere in your bedroom, the VSCO girl meme is the perfect one for you. 

7. Lady Gaga at the Met Gala 

Courtesy: Vanity Fair

If you and three other friends want to be the most iconic group at the party, I suggest picking these 4 looks Lady Gaga presented at this year’s Met Gala. I can only imagine that this might become the greatest group photo that four friends could take on Halloween. None of you would have to fight over who wants to be who because you would all be Lady Gaga and it would be beautiful.

8. Avenger’s Endgame

Courtesy: Forbes

Everyone wants to have an excuse to dress up as a superhero, just like we did when we were kids, and this Halloween is the perfect time to do so. Avengers: Endgame came out this year and people could not stop talking about. The movie includes so many characters that the options for who you want to be this year are practically endless. Also, Iron Man, we love you 3000 and this Halloween is for you.

Of course, you could stick with the typical last-minute costumes again this year, like throwing on some cat ears or devil horns, but we have so much inspiration to pull from in 2019. Why not try and make it a little bit more fun? Whether that’s just adding some rhinestones to your makeup look like Maddie from Euphoriaor changing those basic wings into Charlies Angelswings you can be a pop-culture icon this Halloween!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram,Twitter, and Pinterest!

Senior at Florida State University majoring in Professional Sales. From West Palm Beach, FL. Will probably be seen leaving early to get home to her dog. Instagram: @reneebram
Her Campus at Florida State University.