8 Essentials You Need to Survive a Summer Road Trip

While summer is quickly approaching, so is the excitement to explore and experience a new adventure during your three-month break between the spring and fall semester of college. Maybe the open road is essentially calling your name, or the idea of wandering through states with a few of your closest friends seems like a trip of a lifetime. Whatever the reason, here is your go-to guide on the eight essentials for surviving a college summer road trip with your besties. 

1. Prepare, prepare, prepare!

One of the most important things to do before any vacation or trip is to have everything prepared before you hit the road. Even though there is a feel of flexibility in your adventure, always make sure to have an idea or plan on where you are going and how you’re getting there. Always have your budget in mind (money matters!) and try not to over-pack because once your car, truck or camper is full… that’s it.

2. Map it out

The last thing you want to happen on a road trip is for you and your friends to get lost or stranded in the middle of nowhere. So before you officially take your trip, it’d be best to invest in a GPS device such as a TomTom or Garmin to assure yourself a safe trip. Some of these GPS devices include traffic and weather alerts to get you there in the quickest and easiest way possible; which saves you time and gas!

3. Auto preparedness

This is a very wise thing to do before the trip has even begun. Bring your car to your usual mechanic and make sure that everything is up to date (and that it can actually last through the trip you intend to take). Also, before you officially hit the road, it’d be smart to learn how to change a tire and what to do if your car overheats, just in case of emergency. It’s always good to have the proper knowledge for any trouble you might run into, even if it’s not planned.

4. Playlists, aux cords & phone chargers

These are definitely essentials for the road. Make sure to have everyone attending your trip create a killer playlist either from your own iTunes or Spotify accounts; this way you’ll never run out of tunes and have to worry about attempting to find a good station on the radio. Who wants to listen to pesky commercials anyway? While you never want to run out of music, also make sure to pack a phone charger and adapter so it can work with the car. No one needs a dead phone when far away from home!

Courtesy: We Heart It

5. Food and snacks

You don’t want to spend all your trip money eating every single meal at a restaurant or fast food drive-thru, so don’t forget to bring food and snacks. Pack a cooler with fresh fruits, sandwiches, and water. You’ll thank yourself later for being both budget-savvy and healthy.

6. Toiletries

Things can get a tad messy when you and your friends are squeezed inside a car for multiple hours on end, so don’t forget to pack some toiletries. These should include: tissues, hand sanitizer, plastic bags for garbage, a basic first-aid kit and any needed medication. Also, never forget to bring your sunglasses!              

7. Comfort

Nothing’s worse than being crammed up in a car for hours and forgetting your favorite pillow and/or blanket. Comfort is key, so maybe even pack two! Another great tip: buy a neck pillow! You might look ridiculous, but it makes sleeping in a car at least 80% easier. Trust us.

8. A camera

Last but not least, you’re bound to be making at least a thousand memories over the course of your trip, so why not try and document them as much as you possibly can? If you have a digital or Polaroid camera, don’t forget to pack extra film/batteries to keep it lasting throughout the whole trip. Happy memory making, Collegiettes! 

Tara Lawson-Corley is a Florida State University graduate. She majored in Retail Merchandising & Product Development with the goal of someday working for a fitness driven retail company. Hopefully later on she will be able to own her own successful fitness boutique or at least that's the dream. Tara enjoys the occasional Netflix binge, reading numerous fashion magazines, and finding new and exciting ways to workout.
Her Campus at Florida State University.