8 Blockbusters We Can’t Wait to Watch This Summer

Sometimes you just need to take it easy—after all, isn’t that what summer break is all about? Visiting the movie theater can be a great way to cool off inside and enjoy some much-needed time alone or an easy activity to do with friends. Here are eight movies coming to theaters this summer that you might want to see!

1. Captain America: Civil War

Courtesy: Comic Book Movie

Release Date: May 6

Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Suit up! Between Marvel and DC, superhero movies have been coming out left and right for the past several years. Marvel’s most recent blockbuster, Deadpool, hit theaters only two months ago, but we still can’t get enough. In Captain America: Civil War, fellow Avengers Captain America and Iron Man have different beliefs about the government’s role in hero activities—beliefs that divide our heroes and pit them against one another. Several of the Avengers and heroes from other Marvel movies will join the fight, in addition to some new suits in the Marvel cinematic universe.

2. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Courtesy: Coming Soon

Release Date: May 20

Genre: Comedy

This sequel to Neighbors (2014) brings several new female faces to the cast list. Mac and Kelly Radner want an ideal neighborhood where they can raise their child in peace, but they will have to fight once more to get their wish. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising turns the party up to another level as Shelby and her Kappa Nu sisters set out to prove that sororities can party, too. When the girls turn out to be worse neighbors than the fraternity before them, Mac and Kelly call on their former neighbor nemesis, Teddy, to help them get the girls evicted. This comedic throw-down pits parenthood against sisterhood, and there can only be one victor.

3. Alice Through the Looking Glass

Courtesy: Coming Soon

Release Date: May 27

Genre: Family, Fantasy, Adventure

Tim Burton fans, the wait is over. Travel to Wonderland to revisit the fantastical world we all know and love. Yet, on this new adventure, there may not be time to stop for tea. Alice must save the Mad Hatter, and she discovers that things have changed since she left. Alice Through the Looking Glass may be a Disney movie, but this story is not your typical fairytale—it’s a rescue mission to save Wonderland from Time.

4. Me Before You

Courtesy: Indiewire

Release Date: June 3

Genre: Drama

No summer movie list is complete without a good romance to remind us of summers past and make us dream about this season’s adventures in love. Me Before You stars Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke, two actors we might recognize as fighters from The Hunger Games and Game of Thrones, respectively. In this movie, however, they tell the story of a relationship formed between a recently paralyzed man and a small-town girl caregiver. Me Before You is bound to be an emotional movie that shows the impact people can have on one another. The trailer also features Ed Sheeran’s “Photograph,” so bringing tissues to the theater may be a safe bet.

5. Finding Dory

Courtesy: Takes on Tech

Release Date: June 17

Genre: Animation, Family, Adventure, Comedy

After 13 years, someone finally remembered how successful Finding Nemo was and decided to make the sequel. Actually, Ellen DeGeneres has been pushing for a Finding Dory movie, publicly promoting the idea of a sequel on The Ellen Show. At long last, she got her fish…or, her wish. In Finding Dory, the lovable blue tang just keeps swimming against her short-term memory loss in hopes of finding the family she lost those many years ago. 

6. The Purge: Election Year

Courtesy: Deadline

Release Date: July 1

Genre: Horror, Thriller, Action, Sci-Fi

The one night where all crime is legal might not exist much longer—not if Senator Charlie Roan gets elected. She’s out to eliminate Purge Night and put an end to the targeted poor and innocent. After a betrayal forces them onto the D.C. streets, she and Sergeant Barnes must stay alive until dawn or become the victims of the Purge’s violence and horror.

7. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

Courtesy: The Movie Network

Release Date: July 8

Genre: Comedy

If you didn’t get enough of Zac Efron from Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, don’t worry! He’s also starring in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates along with Pitch Perfect favorites Anna Kendrick and Adam Devine. Zac and Adam play hard-partying brothers in search of hot dates for their sister’s wedding, but they end up with hot messes. With this hilarious cast, we can be sure to expect a comedy that’s sure to bust any summertime blues.

8. Star Trek Beyond

Courtesy: Joblo

Release Date: July 22

Genre: Sci-Fi, Adventure, Action, Thriller

Explore deep space and boldly go where no man has gone before with the latest installment of the newest Star Trek series. Just in time for the original Star Trek’s 50th anniversary, Star Trek Beyond brings us another adventure with the crew of The Enterprise. This movie is directed by Justin Lin, so we can expect something a little different from this movie than J.J. Abrams’s interpretations. Either way, this movie hopes to satisfy Trekkies and sci-fi fans with an action-packed and character-driven summer flick.

No matter what your movie taste might be, there’s a flick this summer for you!

Ginny is a Senior at Florida State University majoring in English- Editing, Writing, and Media. She plans to pursue a career in editing and publishing. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Ginny's interests include creative writing, art, travel, and music.
Her Campus at Florida State University.