7 Things FSU Students Really Want on Campus

Being the large university we are, there are always renovations and additions to campus. From a new Alumni Club in Doak Campbell Stadium to a new, massive HD display board in the stadium  to even a pleasant, yet slightly jolting statue of Strozier himself to greet us to our studying doom. But what is it that the students right here on campus truly want to see? With the help of some fellow ‘Noles I got the inside scoop on the true desires of students.

A New Parking Garage

You already had to know this was first and foremost the biggest need of all students, and even faculty on campus. Parking is an absolutely nightmare, often necessitating the trek to and from Pensacola garage, which has even begun to fill up at increasingly earlier times. We all know the ins and outs of stalking people to their cars, and even having to get in the car with us to take them to their spot. So when will we just get a new parking garage? We don’t just want it, we need it, so how about we build up on one of our flat lots and make a lot of people happy, and on time for their classes.

More Outreach to Transfer Students

After posting on the Class of 2017 Facebook page, it became clear that some transfer students did not know very much about what was happening coming to FSU. A new and improved transfer outreach program might be helpful to ensure that we welcome out new Noles who made the switch to this incredible institution feel truly welcome and comfortable navigating their new home.

Gender Inclusive Bathrooms

There are a lot of people right here on our own campus who cannot feel comfortable going into either the men’s or women’s bathroom. Everyone should be able to go to the bathroom comfortable and peacefully (because I mean seriously, who doesn’t love the rest and relaxation that comes along with a little potty break), so how about we start catering to the needs of everyone and create more bathrooms that welcome anyone, no matter their gender identification.

Courtesy: CustomSigns.com

Paid Internships on Campus

There are many students who participate in internships on campus, such as with the radio station, V89, and Club Downunder. We would not be able to have these incredible entertainment luxuries without the assistance of student interns, so why not show them how much they matter to the FSU community and throw a little cash their way? We are struggling college students living on Ramen noodles, at least let them afford real pasta. Maybe even throw in enough for some sauce, and not just the Publix brand.

Improving Campus Sustainability

We might have a recycle next to every trash bin on campus, but what about all of the food we throw away? FSU could wildly improve its sustainability and create a less harmful footprint by creating places to throw away specifically our food for compost, as well as educating students and faculty on what really can be recycled. There are so many items that get thrown away every day in which can really be recycled. Let’s inform the campus and make a sustainable impact!

More Food Options

So many students have trouble finding food to eat on campus due to dietary restrictions or because they are vegetarian/vegan. Not only that, but a lot of the food provided on campus is not always the healthiest. We should implement much better food options, that not only make us feel good, but can also fill up our fellow students who do not, or cannot, eat everything that is offered. Plus, we can make a sustainable impact by adding in a weekly or monthly “Meatless Monday.” It has been proven that vegetarian options require far less water (about ten times less) and resources to produce than meat (which accounts for around 20% of global greenhouse emissions), so how about we practice some green habits everyone once in a while to make a positive impact on our community and earth as a whole.

On Campus Farmers Market

While we’re on the topic of eating better, why not have a Farmers Market? Not only do they sell fresh, healthy foods, but this would be so helpful for those students who don’t have the means to easily get to a grocery store. It might not supply everything students may need, but it would be incredibly helpful and sustainable. There is nothing like supporting our local farmers while eating clean at the same time.

Courtesy: VCHCA

As you can see there are a lot of things that our students desire, most of which are not that difficult to implement. So let’s rally together and make our campus a more sustainable place where transfer students feel ready for the transition, vegetarians and vegans have more options, everyone can feel comfortable using the restroom, interns get a little more love for their hard work, and everyone can find a parking spot so they can make it to their classes on time.

Junior at Florida State University majoring in Editing, Writing, and Media, aspiring social activism journalist, world traveler, and lover of flannel, Hungry Howie's, and cats.
Her Campus at Florida State University.