7 Films You Should Watch Before the Oscars

The Oscars are right around the corner and the films that have come out this year are truly dazzling. If you haven’t been watching the newest movies, here are the seven movies that will keep you up to date when watching the award show!

Courtesy: IMDb

The Revenant: This intense thriller is based on the true events that took place in the early 1800s when Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) goes out into the wilderness with his crew. When he encounters a bear who attacks him, his men leave him behind, and Glass is forced to find his way back by himself. This film will keep your heart racing during the entire movie and with 12 nominations (the most of any movie this year) it is sure to impress.

Nominations: 

–     Best Picture

–     Actor in a Leading Role: Leonardo DiCaprio

–     Actor in a Supporting Role: Tom Hardy

–     Cinematography

–     Costume Design

–     Directing

–     Film Editing

–     Makeup and Hairstyling

–     Production Design

–     Sound Editing

–     Sound Mixing

–     Visual Effects

Courtesy: IMDb

The Martian: Space movies seem to be capturing audiences from Gravity to Interstellar and now, The Martian. When a space mission to Mars ends up in a frantic departure back to Earth, Mark Watney (Matt Damon) is left behind by his crew. Everyone thinks he is dead when in reality he is alive, alone on a planet that is 50 million miles away from Earth. He only has enough food for a month and has to figure out a way to stay alive and alert the base at NASA of his state. This movie shows his fight to stay alive and make it back to his home where his wife and son await his arrival.

Nominations:

–     Best Picture

–     Actor in a Leading Role: Matt Damon

–     Production Design

–     Sound Editing

–     Sound Mixing

–     Visual Effects

–     Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Courtesy: IMDb

The Big Short: This movie tells the story of the 2008 housing collapse. A bunch of Wall Street experts realize what the banks are doing by giving out so many loans. They use this information as an opportunity to use investor money to bet the disastrous results and get rich quick. This film has a star studded cast including Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Brad Pitt and Ryan Gosling.

Nominations:

–     Best Picture

–     Actor in a Supporting Role: Christian Bale

–     Directing

–     Film Editing

–     Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Courtesy: IMDb

Carol: Starring Cate Blanchett, Sara Paulson, and Rooney Mara, Carol is a story about a woman (Cate Blanchett) who is stuck in a marriage she doesn’t care about anymore and finds herself developing feelings for the women in her life. She is faced with a decision when her husband finds out of these feelings and threatens to take their daughter away from her if she pursues these emotions.

Nominations:

–     Actress in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett

–     Actress in a Supporting Role: Rooney Mara

–     Cinematography

–     Costume Design

–     Music (Original Score)

–     Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Courtesy: IMDb

Spotlight: The infamous investigation of sexual abuse within the Catholic Church that was conducted by the Boston Globe landed them a Pulitzer Prize. This story was turned into an exciting film starring Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffulo, and Rachel McAdams. This movie goes through the countless hours that the writers put into this investigation and the corruptness that was occurring within, supposedly, one of the purest establishments in the world.

Nominations:

–     Best Picture

–     Actor in a Supporting Role: Mark Ruffalo

–     Actress in a Supporting Role: Rachel McAdams

–     Directing

–     Film Editing

–     Writing (Original Screenplay)

Courtesy: IMDb

The Danish Girl: This is a beautiful film, based on the true story of Einar Wegener (Eddie Redmayne) who became Lili Elbe- the first documented transgender person. This movie takes you throughout the emotional struggle that Wegener went through and the unwavering support that he received from his wife and others around him.

Nominations:

–     Actor in a Leading Role: Eddie Redmayne

–     Actress in a Supporting Role: Alicia Vikander

–     Costume Design

–     Production Design

Courtesy: IMDb

Joy: Joy (Jennifer Lawrence) is a young selfless woman who decided to turn down college in order to help her parent’s through their divorce. While raising two children with her husband who is not making a good income, she decides to create her own business. This movie will make you feel empowered as you see Joy triumph through the obstacles she faces such as untrustworthy money hungry peers. This film also features great talent such as Robert De Niro and Bradley Cooper.

Nominations:

–     Actress in a Leading Role: Jennifer Lawrence

The Oscars will take place Feb. 28 at 8:30 p.m. eastern time on ABC.

Hey my name is Taylor! In my free time I like reading/watching videos about anything beauty related. I have way more lipstick than a girl could ever need, but I will probably buy more. I'm a documentary addict and love learning about new things.
Her Campus at Florida State University.